"Baby" tarpon in the lagoons - AWESOME!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

"Baby" tarpon in the lagoons - AWESOME!!!

Just got back from being husband / companion on my wife's award trip to St.Kitts for being a top performer in her region. We had our share of challenges getting to the frozen drinks and beach due to a serious acute allergic reaction she suffered that had her going into anaphylactic shock before I rushed her into the emergency ward in a remote hospital. Scary experience to say the least, makes one appreciate the medical care we enjoy here in the states. She's doing fine now, thanks to all who have sent well wishes.

As we eased into things like dinner at Turtle Beach (highly recommended) and made the big company formal bash, I felt comfortable enough to sneak off this morning for what amounted to a little over two hours of stalking the lagoons in the area for baby tarpon.

In this short time I jumped 11 tarpon of which I landed only two. I should have landed more than that but every possible thing that could go wrong while a 5-pc 8wt is bent to the cork did go wrong. However I had twice as many takes as hookups, and 11 fish hooked solid with one fish in the 40 pound class in the areas largest and deepest lagoon. Of course I had a snowball's chance in hell of stopping that fish and as soon as I tried to show a little authority he voided any such hopes by snapping 30# tippet (the biggest I had).

It looked like that video clip on the other thread, fish after fish on for the first 8 fish then finally one to hand, then the 11th to hand making for pretty low percentages.

I would say bring a 10wt at least, and use as big a tippet strength as the fish will allow. I am embarassed to say I started off with the 15# maxima I had on the leader at the time once I spotted the telltale tarpon finning / tail action on calm water instead of cutting it back. That fish exploded on the fly on the second cast and the fight lasted until the fourth tooth-grinding leap before the fine saw teeth on the jaw made a joke out of the tippet. After a second fish was lost I cut back the leader to what looked like 25# (tapered leader) until I cut back to a section thicker than the 30# maxima I had in possession and blood knotted a length of 30# to see if I could start holding them.

My break off problems ended with the 30# provided I replaced the tippet after each jumped fish however at one point a group came through and I hooked one in a consecutive cast after jumping another which threw the hook 5 feet over the water, and of course that one sawed the already badly abraded tippet easily.

All but one or two were sight fished. The blind ones came from where finning fish were seen but didn't stay up so I cast in the general direction. It's amazing how little ripple tarpon of 20-30 pounds can make when just under the surface film.

I noticed certain patterns in their behaviour and capitalized on it which resulted in the high number of hookups, however better fly designs and more anal tippet management would yield more fish to hand should I ever get this type of opportunity again.

Bowing the rod didn't cure the spitting of hooks or breaking off primarily because these fish are so close to the edge sometimes that you are hooking them with 10 feet of fly line out. This is where a boat would be a great advantage because you could get more distance between you and the fish and let the length of line cushion things better than having a short tight leash whiplashing under the force of an airborne silver torpedo and point blank.

But it was so much fun who could stop!! I had to climb two 15ft barbwire fences to keep a promise that I would eat breakfast with my wife on the beachside patio at 8am and I made it damn it! However this short time I had with these poons' was a great ending to an emotionally trying and exhausting trip for my wife and I.

She was glad I hooked up because she felt her illness had ruined my trip. Au contraire, this was her award trip not mine and my job was to be the chaperone and friend, and as it turned out a bit of an EMT as well. "Glad to be of service, I am honored to have the job" I assured her, and meant it. She also "hooked up" with some of the top brass of the company who made a special effort to recognize her efforts and also to wish her well not to mention the support of her great friends who I can gladly say are now my friends as well.

But yes, it sure did feel good to end it with a flurry of screaming drag and leaping silver before breakfast and packing and the cattle drive back to the airport and the long flight back to Logan.

St.Kitts Tarpon Club is now officially formed... thanks for inspiring me to bring some gear steelboneguy!

(BTW - I have some video footage of other fish that I will convert to web media, cruising, leaping etc)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tarpoon1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	5590  
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 04-02-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Flats Rat

Awesome dude!

Glad to hear your wife is ok - that must have been very scary!

This sounds like a cool place to visit. We were planning on renting out our Kauaii timeshare next year - I'll have to check out the Swap market
Old 04-03-2006, 06:03 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
COOL!!
Bill
Old 04-03-2006, 06:59 AM

I LOVE BABY TARPON!!

This morning I have severe poon withdrawl symptoms! I need a fix badly

I can't get the lunging acrobatics of these things out of my mind!!!! I could see myself falling into a deep abyss of mid-size tarpon obsession very easily.

Although these are called "baby" tarpon I have to say they are the right size for me. I am not really interested in chasing a 100 pounder around for an hour. These fish ran from around 20 pounds to 50, and with mullet in the lagoon in large numbers I am sure there were much bigger ones who did not bother with the shoreline buffet.

I forget to mention I did have one snook take the fly but I pulled the hook from it's fleshy mouth. I did mention that I had twice as many heart stopping takes as I had jumped fish, and some of them swiped two or three times before getting the fly but no solid hookup occurred.

They were HOT on a shrimp pattern I invented for steelheading, the winter version of the 'creeper' which is a fairly large winter steelhead pattern with orange indian crow shell backs and mallard horns for legs, pink crystal flash for antennae. I can't post a pic because they are all on tarpon lips (I ran out). This TMC 7999 barbless was not the right hook for the job but I am sure they will expell them easily if not already.

Because of the breakage rate of super-hot tarpon in this size range I would avoid using stainless hooks.

I have seen the use of circle hooks which I think would work well since tarpon often take and follow thru in an "away" direction when they take, but man I could see myself blaming the hook for less hookups even though I know even a standard large gape hook mysteriously doesn't stick as often as it does.

After the winter creeper I went to a small tan clouser I tie for July days on Monomoy and they liked that too albeit not as much as the shrimp. More swipes, less fish hooked with the clouser for some reason. I think part of it was the profile of the unweighted shrimp sinking at a near ideal rate unlike the quick descent of the clouser and possibly the orange color that make them go nuts on it.

Finally I had a raghead crab pattern I tied for Acklins with extra long brown grizzly hackle legs that looked too ugly for fishing on the flats but when stripped it looked a lot like a toad and they seemed to like that one as well.

The most important thing was to set up en route and place the fly correctly so it was an easy lunge for them, and lunge is the word. Some of the takes were so vicious you would swear you spooked the fish until the rod nearly jumped out of the hands and a 40 inch tarpon would explode 5 feet in the air.

There are several lagoons to investigate and spending only a couple of hours on a few within walking distance from the hotel does not make me an expert by any means but here's something you should all know...

There is a HUGE salt pond on the 'tail' of the island that is currently not flushing to sea enough for navigation etc. Within two years there will be a major waterway cut to the sea to open this huge basin to large watercraft for moorage and open it to tourism.

This will transform this salt lake into a fishing mecca and it's shoreline is broadly accessible and also rich with flats as well as other shoreline profiles and should provide an insane opportunity for visiting anglers DIY, tarpon, bones, permit, cuda, the possibilities are endless. Boat rentals should be an easy venture for locals on the calm lake, making the shoreline sight fishing opportunities hot.

I think I will follow this activity and plan to do a make-up trip with my once completed.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:40 AM
President of CAC

Great fishing report.... but very happy that you wife is ok and that she responded well to treatment...talk to you later
Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 AM

StKitts

Juro

Years ago I heard rumors of the Tarpon in a lagoon there.
A fellow told me the tourists would throw them French Fries !!! That would be an interesting fly pattern ! I don't know if he is on this site...his story was funny!

I feel the same way that you do about Tarpon. I would much rather hook the smaller ones.... the big ones are too much like work.

As you saw in another poster's comments, I had good luck on St Maarten with baby Tarpon. They seemed to like most any fly I threw at them but mostly white deceivers. It was in a congested area though and not very scenic.

Was the St.Kitts lagoon in a nice area ?

ps... really glad that your wife came through her ordeal ok.... that must have been frightening...
Old 04-03-2006, 09:29 AM

... and the sounds they make as they churn the water are still sounding in my head...

in such skinny water every sudden move they make with that huge tail and body built for speed is like a burst of fury, and few leapers can rival the leaps of a tarpon. Not only do the surges and churning takes generate water noise but the vaulting of the fish's mass and shearing fins, head shaking and body gyrations create sounds that slice the air with excitement.

Atlantic salmon, summer steelhead, ocean coho salmon maybe but not with the explosiveness, sheer mass and toenail curling spectacle that a chrome-plated silver tropical sportscar of a fish can muster at it's command.

I love my stripers, inshore tuna and blues but tarpon they are not. I am obsessed with bonefishing but the double digit bones are few and far between. Steelhead and salmon via Spey fishing techniques will always be up there with fine single malts, soaring bald eagles overhead and the classic angling experience - but put a cubano in the pocket and throw a few limes and fine tequila in the cooler and put me on some 30 # tarpon quick before I go out of my mind with tarpon fever!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:04 AM

Off my digital camera... footage from the video will follow later as time allows.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chron...arpteaser2.wmv

(approx 1.7 mb / video + sound)

Bad case of the "dropsies" and it's hard to take footage / photos while fish are going nutso on the line, doesn't do justice
Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Juro, glad to hear your wife is ok. She had the right person at her side! Also, thanks for the great fish report
Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 AM

YEAHHH HAA!!!! I knew you would find em! I quickly found out 20lb tippet was not going to work as well.. their mouths are rougher than concrete just slowly fray your tippet. You need at least 30lb fluro, 40 be perfect. They do jump like crazy, great practice for the big daddys (someday, (sigh)). Glad you had a ball, I've been going through withdrawls since I've left St. Kitts. There is some big daddys in there. Amazing how shallow they swim for their size. They truly sneak up on you, then you get buck fever knowing that it is all up to you to present the fly properly.

Your report brought a big smile to my face, and made my Monday go by faster. Freaking AWESOME

Catch ya later work calls
Old 04-03-2006, 12:40 PM

Nice use of the 3rd hand, not sure how you got any video. Great stuff!
Quote:
but put a cubano in the pocket and throw a few limes and fine tequila in the cooler and put me on some 30 # tarpon quick before I go out of my mind with tarpon fever!
I hear ya man - just make sure it's Patron. I'd send 'em a sponsor solicitation but my Espanol is rusty The SBFT swim faster but lack the aerobatic qualities of the tarpon.

Do I hear Tarpon Clave?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 PM

Thumbs up GREAT REPORT....

GREAT REPORT and video

The babies in Saint Martin (45 MINUTES FROM ST KITTS) are also caught in the Salpond Lagoon in Philipsburg. The one I posted the other day too.

Here we fish them with 10wt outfit + 40lb Seaguar Fluoro (minimum ), the water being murky, they are not leader shy.

The flies that work in our lagoon are :

Tan Shrimp tied with red/orange thread, Black and Purple Deceivers with Red Head, and Large Green/Yellow poppers (the FFSW frogg would work too)

Hook sizes 1/0 to 3/0 (the best). I use Varivas Carbon or Mustad 34007.

Been to antigua 3 months ago, and the lagoons are filled up too.

Regards

Jean Marc
Old 04-03-2006, 01:41 PM

Antigua ?

WEBSTAIN

I found Antigua Tarpon fishing to be hit or miss... not like SXM where I found them every time.

Someone on Antigua told me the Tarpon and Snook fishing there is tied to the rains.... no rain and the lagoons go low and the fish die off....

Were you there recently ? Did I understand you to mean that there are Tarpon in the lagoons now ?

thanks for any info...

Juro:
how much fun would it be to fish a flat with baby Tarpon approaching you like a bonefish !!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:51 PM

Frank, sounds like you've had some of dat' tarpon action in that neck of the woods too! Great stuff. Addictive.

Although not in the types of waves we saw in Acklins these fish cruise so shallow they might as well be bones... well I will transfer some clips from my video camera to show you when I get out of work.

I have some raffle prizes from the show to ship out first, then I will get some mini clips of these cruising bruisers - being ten times bigger than the bones and cruising in the very shallows was just something else and I caught some ridiculous footage on the 3 CCD camcorder including a couple of leaps from another hooked tarpon.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Do I hear Tarpon Clave?
Jim -

A friday night to sunday night r/t to San Juan Puerto Rico is $399 and the lodging for a few hearty anglers should be very cheap. Good eats are easy to find and the lagoon systems in the area abound with tarpon.

Somewhere in FLA, we could check with Kristen Mustad (Old Florida) on the situation, or with Ben Iannotta (bigfishonfly charters) etc. As I understand it the tarpon fishing is busy and seasonal in FLA though. I would rather go with the less traveled yet prolific populations.

Third weekend in April works for me... or early May before the stripers arrive... any potential takers?

Check out this map of San Juan's extensive canal systems...

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/maps/sanjuan.pdf

San Juan is known as a tarpon hotspot and PR is USA.

Last edited by juro; 04-03-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.