Wide feet re-visited - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Cool Wide feet re-visited

I sure am glad I found this forum. I am in need of stream type wading boots. My feet are wide, and I will be hiking across tunda (1 km or so, up hills) as well as wading in rocky streams. In 2004 someone mentioned Simms was coming out with studded Aquastealths. Did that ever happen? I was on their web site and did not find them. Other suggestion? I'd really like lug soals for the hike, and studs to keep from slipping when I get to the water. I suppose I could wear hiking boot and swithch, but don't care for any added gear. I looked at Corkers, but am unsure of the wide thing, and not sure of how well the multi-sole thing works. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
My feet are 14W and I use Orvis Henry's Fork wading shoes. Mine aren't studded, but they do come studded. They're actually on sale right now on their website for $89. I think I have a size 14 and they fit my stockingfoot waders in them fine.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Aqua Stealth with Studs

Yes they are available, got mine a few months ago. Haven't been in the water yet with them.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:50 PM

Orvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere Eshelman
Yes they are available, got mine a few months ago. Haven't been in the water yet with them.
I went to Orvis.com and all they had were Henry's Fork II's, mat 129.00 for studded. They may be all sold out. On the HR I's, you guys that have them, how is the ankle support, soft like a glove or stiff like a ski boot?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:57 PM

Lightbulb

You want wide???? Gotta go with the Simms Riverteks...EEEE width and sizes to 15. Price is $99.99 for unstudded and $129.99 with studs. Awesome speedlacing system. One caveat...HEAVY! Also, I agree with Teflon about the Henry's Forks (at least last year's models). I have a pair of studded HF's from last year. Mine are size 15 (I wear a 13/14 street shoe) and they have plenty of room. I have not only wide feet but a very high instep to boot (no pun intended!). The bonus is they are much lighter than the Riverteks (but not as wide). I would say the lateral support is somewhere in the middle, not too soft, not too stiff. I like them a lot!

My 0.02

Zugbugz - Arizona

Last edited by zugbugz; 03-30-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservator
I went to Orvis.com and all they had were Henry's Fork II's, mat 129.00 for studded. They may be all sold out. On the HR I's, you guys that have them, how is the ankle support, soft like a glove or stiff like a ski boot?
I didn't check the availability before posting, but checking now it looks like the Henry's Fork Premium is sold out except in 15. I don't know what size you're looking for...
Old 03-31-2006, 12:18 PM

Hiking

Thanks for the posts. I will be doing a LOT of hiking for about a month straight (every day) in and out of water. I think I will need the comfort of a hiker, preferably with a lug-like sole, felt bottoms seem to be pretty stiff, and hard to walk in. Then, I will be on the rocky river bottom for a month, day in day out, and need something that sticks. Thas why I was hoping for something with aquastealth and the option on studs. Thought that would do double-duty. Or maybe Korkers, but I don't know how well they hold up, or how wide thay are. I guess I could by studded over-shoe sandels. I usually take a size 10.5, and seems like I need to buy a size bigger, 12's I would guess. Maybe I need 2 pairs?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:29 PM

rivertreads

I'm using LL Bean's Rivertreads (had a gift certificate). They're based on hiking boots, firm, supportive, and have aquastealth soles (studded also available). I hike and fish in them and like them a lot. May be limited in width choices, though. If you're hiking and fishing you can't beat aquastealth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.