DIY Sanibel Captiva FL - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:58 PM

DIY Sanibel Captiva FL

I am going to Sanibel Island this weekend on business and have about 6 hours on Sunday free. I want to fish and I am wondering if I really want to drop $375 on a guide.

Is there enough shore access to effectively fly fish? I wont have a car but I figure I could take cabs to get around the island

If not the hotel I am staying at will rent a 19" foot Grady White for $225. Is this a route worth pursuing or should I just spend the extra to have someone drive and put me into fish?

Thanks

Scottr
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Exclamation Worth paying a little.....

Hi,

Been twice in florida, and what I did is : Get a half day trip with a captain, and open your eyes - Tide - Place - Fish behavior. Spend a little more time observing than fishing. Then the next day, try it on your own using what you have observed and learned. Be carefull because some areas require a special permit that your guide have, but you might get one on your own.

Worked fine for me, on the third day of each trip got it figured well enough to have decent results.

in the meantime, enjoy it.

Jean Marc
Old 03-29-2006, 07:02 PM

Thanks Jean Marc!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:15 PM

Scott.....I've been going to Sanibel for 14 years. This time of season, there is nothing doing on the Gulf side. Plus, the area has been hit by some silt polution from the Army Corps of Engineers opening the floodgates of a nearby lake that dumps into Pine Island Sound (between mainland and Sanibel). The result has been a severe loss of sea grasses that of course bait hide in that attracts fish.
For such a short stay, I have 2 suggestions:
1. go to Captiva (Jenson's Twin Palm Marina) and rent a boat....ask them to direct you to the "power lines"....there, the seagrass is still abundant and you should be able to get some seatrout, snook and redfish. They in advance can hook you up with a good guide if desired.
2. Flats fish about 100yds just before getting to the toll booth (on left facing tolls)....park on the hard sand and go straight out about 150 ft and slightly(30 degree) to the right......there you will find a sand bar that is perpendicular to the land, it has a steep drop off and the best time to fish it is low to an hr incoming....good current brings in the bait at that time.....the earlier in the morning the better. Seatrout at minimum would be available.
Warning......if you her a giant splash behind you in the early a.m.....it's only dolphins that frequent there at the change in tide. :-)
Good luck.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 08:49 PM

PS: One other spot, if you can get honest info, is Tarpon Bay, right on Sanibel. There you can rent a canoe, boat or yak. The area 2 years ago was absolutely great...but the pollution I mentioned, killed a lot of grass. Went there twice in January and it was awful. They have stopped dumping water from the lake, so maybe things have turned around. Asking the people at the desk will get you varried answers....my first time out I saw nothing...asked the guy at the desk if fishing had been bad...he said: same as usual.....I tried it once more, but before spending the $ for the yak rental, I asked another clerk.....her answer was......not good since the grass was killed.
So....buyer beware....but if it's back...it's a great place to go.
Ron
Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 AM

Thanks Paxton that is very good info.:
Old 03-30-2006, 07:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FLStan
Re: Sanibel

My brother-in-law was done there last week. He said there was snook cruising the beach and in Ding Darling before the last "cold" front that came through and dropped water temps. Prior to that the snook were really chewing. I'd get out early in the morning and at least check out the beach as temps are on the rebound and the water is relatively clean.

Stan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.