Vieques bones? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Vieques bones?

Heading to Vieques next weekend. Anyone out there fished here before? From my research on the computer, it looks like there are a lot of opportunities for the shorebound do-it-yourselfer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That archipelago seems to be a sharply sloped volcanic chain as opposed to coral outcroppings from ancient seas like the Bahamas. I will be going to St.Kitts just to the south and although I will pack a travel rod I am not expecting to find many bonefish. Cuda usually abound, jacks, and needlefish and gar are everywhere. The offshore fishery has wahoo, sails, mahi mahi and big cuda around wrecks etc but inshore DIY is probably cuda, jacks and the occasional shot at small groups or single bones and these only in spots where broad shallow shorelines occur (rarely).

Vieques seems to have more of these spots than most in the VI.

Good luck and leave a report on return!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-13-2006, 10:07 PM

Juro,

Just got back from St. Kitts.

Had a fabulous time. You need to look into some lagoons. There is some behind Marriott, and like a couple of miles down another lagoon. I didn't explore very much as the lagoons at the Marriott had good numbers of baby tarpon, lady fish, and snook. The snook are the hardest to get to bite. The tarpon cruise the outter edge of the lagoons and with a proper presented fly hammer it. I caught 10 tarpon, size wise from 10lbs to 30lbs, losing one I est. to be 40s. SOOO much fun. The fight like crazy at first great jumps but b/c of the lagoon system low O2 tire more quickly than if they were in the ocean. Chrt light weighted clousers worked the best. They like the fly worked slowly. Decievers also were a great fly.

Steelboneguy
Old 03-14-2006, 07:54 AM

WOW

You really, truly just MADE MY DAY
Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 AM

I want a report now, when you get back!!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:29 AM

Underwater video too.

More questions to come, have to get to a meeting
Old 03-27-2006, 09:30 AM

OK let's talk

Did you bring a 10wt? I am thinking of packing a 9wt or 8wt.

Any oceanic bones along the outer beaches? Probably won't be able to pull away from the tarpon in the lagoons.

How wadeable? Are the lagoons gnarly to walk around or land fish?

Tell me more - any pics?

(yes I will post a complete report)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBoneguy
Juro,

Just got back from St. Kitts.

Had a fabulous time. You need to look into some lagoons. There is some behind Marriott, and like a couple of miles down another lagoon. I didn't explore very much as the lagoons at the Marriott had good numbers of baby tarpon, lady fish, and snook. The snook are the hardest to get to bite. The tarpon cruise the outter edge of the lagoons and with a proper presented fly hammer it. I caught 10 tarpon, size wise from 10lbs to 30lbs, losing one I est. to be 40s. SOOO much fun. The fight like crazy at first great jumps but b/c of the lagoon system low O2 tire more quickly than if they were in the ocean. Chrt light weighted clousers worked the best. They like the fly worked slowly. Decievers also were a great fly.

Steelboneguy
Old 03-27-2006, 09:25 PM

Vieques showed me the bones; tarpon as well. However, they were not in an eating mood. Green beach was beautiful and I had 3 shots at tarpon, 5 at bonefish, in the last 1.5 hours of a falling tide. Unfortunately, the windward side was where the fish were. I was just excited to be able to find them in a place that was unfamiliar, without a guide, and get the fly to them. Biscayne bay in two weeks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.