Deprivation! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Deprivation!

I was out in Seattle last week working on a new project and brought all my gear hoping to break away from work. However software projects being as they are the most intense days were Saturday and Sunday since we can't schedule downtime mid-week and all systems needed to be "go" Monday morning.

Net effect was zero casts and I lugged the stuff back untouched. Talk about high anxiety! I am jonesin' bad, I hope I have to come back out soon.

Good being in the emerald city for a few though. Highlight of this business trip was I ate sushi where Ichiro does - Shiro's in Belltown. Phenomenal! Got served by Mr.Shiro himself, a real master.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 PM

shiro

shiro is old school seattle. been making sushi here for over 25 years..
next time yer in town try "nishino" on madison - i think it's at least as good, maybe better.

there's no fish to catch around here anyway
Old 03-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I work in the tech field and have had the occaisional job offer in other parts of the country. One of the requirements for a relocation for work are if there are any steelhead rivers within driving distance of the proposed new job. If not, I'm not interested.

I feel so sorry for you Juro. The lure of money should never override the lure of steelhead.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:23 PM

How true Kerry, truth be told I've prioritized things differently for many years and got away with it but this year with two in college I need to lay down the foundation for some family stability going forward.

However this first one was a sacrifice to the work Gods, I am hoping I have established my worth to the project and will require frequent visits to keep the momentum
Old 03-27-2006, 09:40 PM

Software developers...sheesh, don't you know you're supposed to leave the project in shambles with statements like "oh, you wanted that" and "we'll configure this later" as you head out the door talking all about "phase II". Keep the documentation on your laptop and email them the encrypted versions. Take a page from the storage guys, purchasing managers love the horribly trashed configurations ISV's and Integrators leave behind and for some reason love to have them back to repair the diaster. Don't ask why but it seems only in scheduled downtime will you prove your worth. Choose 'wisely' ;-)

I made it to the Skagit on Wednesday for a float. Finally hooked up with a nice little buck (Gaspe Grilse, 13-15 lb). River was very clear. Nice day on the river though.

Too bad I didn't know you were there, I'd have stopped for dinner on the way up or back.

-Chris
Old 03-27-2006, 10:02 PM

great to hear you made it (finally!)

There's a lot more where that came from especially thru autumn; let's hook up when I return. At least for dinner... I hear there is this place on Madison

I will of course tote all my gear regardless of whether there is a snowballs chance that I will wet a line.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro

I will of course tote all my gear regardless of whether there is a snowballs chance that I will wet a line.
Give a holler. I know a flyfisher with a devil jet sled that's itching to get out on the skagit.

Screw work.

-tony

ps. All else being equal, and if you are in the big city, I'm a big fan of Sanmi's for sushi.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Tony,

Since I don't know where that is I'll have to hook up with you and Bob to try it.

Also since I am doing work for your alma mater, "screw work" might not go over all that well
Old 03-28-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Also since I am doing work for your alma mater, "screw work" might not go over all that well
I don't know about that... if I had a buck for everytime I skipped work there and went fishing, I'd be rich!

-tony
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 PM

Juro, remember this word; "boondoggle". It seems to work for the storage vendors. Just look at their bottom line these days. "We'll have to send someone on site to fix that", "it's in the next release, be glad to come out and perform the upgrade when it's ready", "we'll get you a resident for a month until all the kinks are worked out", and so on.

It comes with the trade these days unfortunately. So you might as well live off the fat of the land.

-Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.