Hudson quiet today - 3/25 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Flats Rat

Hudson quiet today - 3/25

Launched the yak at Croton Point for the annual "humiliation by Hudson" . After breaking my 5 year duck last year and seeing schools of fish cruising the sandflats I was hopeful. There were some amazing reports a few weeks back and the weather was pretty fair. But all I got today was a nice workout.

I should have known something was up when I arrived to find the lot deserted and no boats out in the bay. The local "grapevine" is pretty solid in this part of the world and if there are fish around you can usually expect to find the locals out in force.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2006, 07:59 AM

Must have been a tad nippy in the SOT. FishHawk
Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 AM
fish'n Hobo

Question

Adrian
Every year for the last 5 years I've tried to get a Hudson striper on the fly. Success rate has been terrible. Between high & dirty water and marking lots of fish that just won't bited ..... it's getting discouraging!

I trailer my 21 Grady to Saugarties or Kingston and travel up to 10 miles either way from the launch. I fish w/ a knowledgable local friend who knows the river well. I usually fish a 10" herring or eel pattern on a sinking line.

Besides using live or cut herring ..... is there any hope for us fly guys?

Any suggestions or techniques are most appreciated....... it's tough to wait another month till the stripers show on the Cape or LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Flats Rat

Jim

Croton Point bay is the only spot that has produced for me. I've seen some impressive reports of fly caught Hudson fish but yet to experience it!

Croton Bay is generally a lot cleaner that the mainstem due to clean water coming in from the New Croton Dam. Even after heavy rains, the water coming through the rocky gorge doesn't pick up much silt. With a flats boat and poling platform you could conceivably sight fish this area. The shallows all the way down to Ossining can hold fish at certian times. Other areas like the Esopus flats yield a lot of fish to bait fishers but its always been very dirty when I've tried fly casting up there.

Rattle based flies would be worth a try. especially if you're in a boat and your partner is finding fish with bait or jigs. But from a Kayak its a lot of work if the fish are moving about which is usually the case.

Its one of those areas that seems to demand a bigger investment of time than other spots but the rewards could be significant. There are a lot of BIG fish up there
Old 03-26-2006, 04:30 PM
fish'n Hobo

Adrian
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe that's the thing.... to find the cleaner water. Hopefully this years low runoff potential will yield better conditions. Little-No snowpak in the headwaters at this time. Robins in the front yard! local trout streams are clear & low.
Maybe the planets are aligned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Adrian,
My dad used to live in Croton so I have a lot of experience fishing for stripers around there about 15 years ago, but it was always with bait from a boat. I hadn't started fly fishing in salt water yet. I do know that there's a couple of places that were good around Croton Point though for casting lures. There's the sand/rock bar that is almost exposed at low tide at the very end of Croton Point. If you throw to either side of the bar there's fish around, especially where the water starts to drop off. There's a wreck out there about 1/2 way down the bar and near the edge of the channel where fish congregate. I think it's in about 35-40 ft of water and the wreck comes up to about 20 ft. The other place is over by the railroad tracks. There was a big bunch of cattails growing about half way between the railroad bridge over the Croton River and the Ossining Boat Club that served as one of my markers for fishing that area. An old timer told me that was a good spot, though of course I have no idea if the cattails are still there to mark it or not. I'm not sure what exactly is there that draws the fish in either, but they were around the area. One other spot to try with a fly rod is the channel marker that's on a pile of rock a little south of Sing Sing (Scarsdale area). There were always a lot of eels around those rocks which means there's stripers around there for sure!

I don't remember where I mailed your swap flies to, so can you refresh my memory on where you live? Is it Newtown CT? I lived there until I was 6 years old, right on route 202. Of course if you're not the guy in the swap that's from Newtown this really doesn't mean anything to you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.