Help outfit a newbie - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Help outfit a newbie

Hi, my wife bought me a $20 rod-reel set (shakepeare I think) from wal-mart for christmas and I have since been using it to learn how to flyfish. I am now looking at getting a rodand reel with a little better quality.

I have been learning on a small lake, fishing for panfish and small bass. The rod I have is an aluminum 8', 5/6wt. I am thinking that I will stay with a 6wt. as it will work for multiple situation for me.

I was looking at an Orvis Clearwater 9', 6wt. rod reel combo - bout $200. This is the price range I would like to stay in. I like the 25 yr gurantee that Orvis has.

What are some comparable models from other brands? Sage, St. Croix, Cabelas? Do they have a similar type warranty?

What is the major difference b/t 2 piece and 4 piece. I love the idea of a 4 piece for its portability - it would be great to take backpacking.

Your help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd rather be fishing

look into the temple forks. cast well, good price, and lifetime warrenty
also look into the sage fli series - similar price as well
as for 2 vs 4 piece - today, no real difference in castability. 4 piece travels easier
hope this helps
Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
St Croix has some great rods right in your price range. Redington is another good company to look at. I don't suppose there's a fly shop in your area where you can try before you buy?

A 2 versus 4 piece really shouldn't make much difference in casting these days. There used to be a lot more of a difference but rod companies have really sorted that out. The 4 piece is a lot more portable so I'd lean that way if you'd like to backpack with it.

Spend most of your money on the rod. The reel is really just a glorified line holder for what you'll be doing so you don't need anything fancy. A $30-40 reel will more than suit your needs.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I dont have a fly shop here in town, There's one in ATL (bout 1.5 hr down the road) and I am going to be in North LA next week for spring break so I bet i can find a couple there. I'll definateley try some of these out.

Also, from what I have read, it seems that the flex is all personal preference? If thats the case I test it out at some shops.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Pullin' Thread

Yes, the flex of the rod is personal preference. Some of us like fast, stiff rods, some soft, flexible, and others something in between these two. You are right, the only way to make sure you get a rod with the flex you like is to cast the rod, and fly shops are the best place to get to do that. Besides, most folks behind the counter of fly shops love to help necomers get the best equipment at the price they can afford or wish to pay, and then help them use it.

TFO, ECHO, Redington, St. Croix, and Lamiglas all produce good casting, lower priced rods. And as has been mentioned, put most of your money into a rod because even very cheap fly reels will work well.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbailey
Also, from what I have read, it seems that the flex is all personal preference? If thats the case I test it out at some shops.
It's partly personal preference, but there's a lot of pros and cons to a flexible versus stiff rod.

More flex
Easier to present a fly delicately (most useful in trout fishing)
Easier for a beginner to cast since it's easier to load the rod (but see next line)
Harder to cast large flies, so while it's easier in general for a beginner to cast a rod with more flex, it's harder for them to cast large flies.
Harder to get the fly free when it hangs up (in rocks in a streambed, in an overhanging tree, on weeds in a pond, etc)
Easier to make short casts because it's easier to load the rod
Harder for a fish to throw a hook (my personal opinion, others may not agree)

Less flex
Easier to cast large flies
Easier to free a snagged fly
Easier to cast longer distances
Harder to present a fly delicately
Harder to cast short distances
Better for bass fishing or for other fish that try to get into weeds, wrap your line around stumps, etc.

I'm sure other people can add more to this...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.