MA trout river recommendations? - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 04:24 PM

MA trout river recommendations?

Any hints would be appreciated. I don't need to know the locations of your secret spots, just a rough idea of an area where I can park and wander around a nice, quiet river for a few hours. Fish would be a bonus

Thanks,

Vinny.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 04:43 PM

Trout Unlimited just updated their book "Anglers Guide to Trout Fishing in Massachusetts". If you are new to the area and looking for access, hatch info, etc, it is worth it's weight in gold. It covers just about every MA river and trout pond in detail. Any fly shop should have it or you can order it from the Boston Chapter's website www.gbtu.org

My copy has lived in my truck for many years and I still look at it when I'm in new area's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Deerfield, Westfield, Millers, Nissitissit, Swift of course, seasonally the Squanacook. Merrimack is also another good smallmouth fishery in MA with some decent trout up in NH.

Just over the border the upper Souhegan has some nice fishing spring and fall, and the upper Pemigewassett in Bristol is some of the nicest water short of Canada and you can expect big trout and big smallmouth bass as well as the occasional atlantic salmon brood fish.

Stripers can be found in almost any tidal river by May and linger through October / November.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 07:35 PM

I'll second the TU book. Its a good resource.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:16 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys! Sounds like there's hope.

I might go and check out one or two of the rivers Juro mentioned this weekend, and I'll order the book tomorrow that John and Dave recommended.

In other news, the wife-to-be has agreed that the fly-rod can come along on our honeymoon to Ireland in June. I promised it would just be for one day. Heh heh heh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.