Need Some help on outfitting myself for a pond - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 02:50 PM

Need Some help on outfitting myself for a pond

ive flyfished before, but only 5-6 times ina stream this winter and havent caught anything so im relying on you're guys' knowledge to help me out here. My dad's buying some stuff from cabelas, so i decided to get my pond stuff ready. What kinda of flies or kits of flies do you think i should get for pretty small ponds? I'll fish for anything. There are perch, carp, bass, pike, millions of bluegill and other random fish that i have caught before. What would be a good base set of flies to get for these fish? Im not sure how much money i have to spend. Probably 50, maybe a little more. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 AM

Flies for ponds

Popping bugs are fun for blue gills and will occationally take a bass or perch. You can usually find a pack of 6 for pretty cheap. Bait fish imatations. #4-#8 Wooly Buggers in Olive, Black, and Yellow work well. Also check warm water fly boards for more patterns.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
The Cabelas largemouth bass assortment contains a good mix of the flies you'll need. That's a great place to start. You should get a few woolly buggers too for panfish.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
If your planning on targeting pike, great flies include deciever and diver patterns typically in sizes 2 - 2/0. Also other good flies are almost any patterns listed for saltwater fish especially the striped bass and tarpon style patterns. Topwater flies are alot of fun, but the pike have a tendency to get over excited and miss surface imitations badly.... The key is to remain composed on your retrieves because pike will often double back after the same fly several times.

Good colors are the tradtional red and white, chartruse, pink, black, and natural forage colors... I know many people who also swear by orange and black in combination.

good luck and good fishing!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:18 PM
_

Bluegill just love those floating foam bugs with rubber legs. They are easy to cast, and they are virtually guaranteed to catch fish

Good luck!

Q
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM

ok i bought an enrico's bluegill, the largemouth bass assortment and a set of 10 size 4 black wooly buggers...now i just gotta wait until the pond melts!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 PM

Not to open a can of worms but if you have interest, for well under $50 you could set yourself up to tie hundreds of the esentials: i.e wollybuggers, marabou streamers, clousers , foam spiders and poppers.
Of course, it won't end for another 50 years and $5000
Old 03-22-2006, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Sounds like a great assortment to start out Fishing4Soup. If you want any more tips and tricks, make sure to come back here and post more questions! And we'll definitely want to hear how you do this year!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:24 AM

Fishing4Soup - Don't over look the carp! They are a kick on a fly rod. I've done well with dark green Matuka flys size 2 or 4 and also royal coachman wet flys, especially in the spring when the carp are cruzin & smoochin! I've also taken perch with a bead head flashback pheasant tail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.