Source for flatwing saddles? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Law Student

Send a message via AIM to brooklynangler
Source for flatwing saddles?

Howdy gents--

Where is everyone getting those great flatwing saddles of the sort that Kenny Abrames used to dye/sell? Cheaper the better, lads!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Law Student

no idea, doods? I looked atthe old posts and SWE doesn't have em anymore...anyone want to sell me their RLS hackles???
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
LBFF Mojo

there were some ideas from my post about a month ago...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...light=flatwing
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Give smitty a call (Kingston MA) 781-582-1015 - he's got what you need.

tell him we sent you
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Law Student

will do. What colors to get if price is not object?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Flats Rat

I have a whole bunch but my 'core' colors are White (never have enough), yellow. Olive and Chartreuse. Next I would add Black, Rootbeer, Aquamarine or silver doctor blue and fire orange. After that whatever catches your eye.

For sourcing, keep and 'eagle eye' out whenever you visit a fly shop or show. Especially check out the bargain bins. Some of the lower grade saddles from Metz and Hareline dubbin are great for smaller flatwings up to 8 inches or so. Some of the stuff that doesn't make the grade for spring creek dry flies is great for flatwings.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Law Student

Hey thanks Adrian, Juro and others. I should add that Bear's Den has saddles in at $35 per, but that is a bit too rich for my student-loan-livin' blood.

I have seen some places carrying the Whiting "Eurohackle" and it looks quite good at $25 per. Any thoughts on that?

How about best flatwing hooks? Owner AKI?

Best books for flatwings???

Thanks for everythign guys...I need to jam on some flies and then go and FISH them.

big hugs from DC

and juro, I'm going to try to come up to the cape this summer for that clave...do you have any more details?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Flats Rat

I think Whiting Eurohackle is the product Kenney Abrames used as the basis for his line of flatwing saddles. $25 sounds like a good deal. You might be better off buying a bunch of white capes and dyeing them yourself. Not sure how the Student Dorm would take to that though
Old 03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Law Student

Well...luckily, my "student dorm" is a small basement apartment that includes a wife and a chihuahua. Since I used to make bamboo rods in my little apartment in Brooklyn, I think dying some chicken feathers in the sink won't be a great trouble to the other occupants.

Not ready to get into dying right now, but when I do...which dye? Any resources you can recommend?

Thanks Adrian!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Only reason I didnt suggest Scott and Scott was they sold so much at the shows and I saw they had been depleted recently, but then again he is on top of his ordering so should be in by now.

In any case the spring clave is the weekend before memorial day, chatham, looking to be a big group this year but the area can handle it from Ptown to the bayside to the sound etc...

Throw a lavendar hackle in there too - spring herring have that streak along the shoulders.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Law Student

Talking how could you!

Wow. Collecting materials to tie flatwing streamers in both expensive and difficult. I have jungle cock (5 necks for $55) from England, real abrames necks from Mass, 18-22 inch hackle from rhode island, super long white hackle from NH, hooks from NH, exotic plumage from same.

Problem is I need some good bucktail now. I assume SWE is the source for the super long, pastell-y stuff. Any other suggestions?

Can anyone post from flatwings that they are proud of?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:28 AM

The Euro saddles were marketed as Flatwing saddles. Also, call on the bucktails most of the stores have a small supply of good bucktails. Check out the Urban Angler in NYC he might have what your looking for. Down n'Trout in NJ is another source of materials. Talk to Francine she'll help you out. That's about all the fly shops I know of in the NYC area. I know there are some shops on LI but have had on experience with them. Hope this helps you out. FishHawk
Old 03-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Flats Rat

SWE "Special Select" grade are the finest bucktails you can buy anywhere. Give them a call to see what colors are available. Bears Den does a range of different shades that I've not seen elsewhere. Difficult to buy when you cant look and feel but those would be good places to start.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Law Student

Thanks gents. I will look into these sources...and I'll post some flies today. I have a bunch of interesting plumage that I am trying to use in these flies also.

Love,

Your faithful (and displaced to Washington DC) brooklyn angler full of spring fever

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.