Scott F series fiberglass - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Mr. Mom

Scott F series fiberglass

Hey all. I've been coveting a small stream, small wild fish rod for awhile now. I fell in love with a four weight F series rod 5 or so years ago when I worked for a scott dealer, but didn't really have a use for it so didn't buy it.

Now I have multiple destinations within 45 minutes where I could use a 0 through 2 weight rod for 8 to 10 inch wild fish, and I just saw that Scott now makes a 6 foot 1 weight F!

Anyone play with one? Anyone have a line on a demo or less expensive one? Any recommendations for similar sticks? The sage 00 looks fun, but when only one company makes a line for it? Nah...
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

i have the 4 wt and absolutly love it. used it all summer here for the tricos and i don't think you could break a trout off on 6x with it. got the job done nicely under 40' the only limit i found was generating line speed to shoot a tight loop under overhanging brush. the 1 wt i have not tried but i would have to think it is a very niche rod and not really capable of a wide range of flies or distances. in close on small streams it is probably a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The Scott 1wt sounds like a lot of fun. I had an old Sglass 6 or 7wt rod long, long ago. Wish I still had it, I sold it for next to nothing.

I cast the Sage 00 last weekend, very interesting. Almost threw the whole line but it ran out of power understandably. I was surprised it could get that far as feather light as it is. In practical lengths it performed nicely and I would love to fish it as a native brookie rod up north. Also a good rod to fine tune your casting between trips!

I will have to try that Scott fiberglass soon...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Thumbs up

Philster, I don't know how warm you are to the idea of a "custom" rod, but you might want to take a look at Dave Lewis's "Perfomance Rods" online. He has numerous small sticks and gorgeous Sage models too and other than the fact that you can't cast them before buying (unless you catch him at a show), they look mighty impressive. He has a lot of small rods, including S-glass. I won't put a link here, but you can google Dave Lewis Performance Rods. Heck of a nice website too. He's located in VA during the winter and Montana during the summer. All that info is on his great site. I personally had him build a custom 5 wt Sage for me, but haven't received it yet; I'm sure it will be awesome though. He has a large inventory of "in-stock" rods. Hopefully I'm not violating any rules here! Check it out!

Don

Zugbugz - AZ

Last edited by zugbugz; 03-20-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Mr. Mom

Well, I took a flyer and bid on a Diamondback "diamondglass" rod on Fleabay. My winning bid was $2 above the opening bid and I won. It arrived today. 7'6" 3 weight "S" glass rod. I just lawn cast, unfortunately with a 4 wt line, but I can tell you it is pretty darned sweet! Not the looker, or the attention to detail the scott has, but a damn fine piece of equipment. The deflection test shows as smooth a taper as you could want right down into the grip. The 4 wt line required a little more wrist rotation than I would like to keep from tailing on long casts, but I won't be making long casts and after the kids go down tonight, the 3 wt line will be spooled up. Retail is $275 or $295, I can't recall which, but you may be able to find a swell deal as I did. The Rapid River calls. One more month... One more month...
Old 03-25-2006, 08:37 AM

lewis glass

Philster, sounds like you got a good deal on the diamondglass. you'll probably like it, most people fishing glass do. Last spring I bought one of Dave Lewis's 7 ft 3/4 weight s-glass rods after weighing lots of options including Steffen bros. and Diamondback.
Lewis's rod is a beauty. It's a six piece, perfect for hiking up small brookie streams. I fished it as a 4 all last season, but I'm considering trying a three on it this year. It is probably slower than your new Diamondglass, but beautifully wrapped and finished. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a glass small stream rod. It's a lot of fun playing the 8-10" rainbows and brookies in my favorite streams here.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:57 PM

You will always covet the Scott. The 4wt with a light five weight line is a terrific combo.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Mr. Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
You will always covet the Scott. The 4wt with a light five weight line is a terrific combo.
Perhaps I will, but having fished the Diamondback this weekend, I'm quite happy with it. I'm glad I went three weight instead of two weight as I was able to do some respectable nymphing with it, and I'm quite happy with the 7foot 6 inch length. It was great in tight quarters, but let me reach a hair farther over conflicting seams. Luckily I still have my G803 to satisfy my Scott light trout needs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.