How often do you gill hook steelhead? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM

How often do you gill hook steelhead?

I was talking to Kerry about this last weekend. Today I hit the river and landed a steelhead who just swallowed my egg pattern before I had a chance to feel it grab. It wasn't swallowed, just on the side of the back of the tounge and there was some blood leaking from the gills. I cut the fly off and left it there. I know with stab-wounds you are supposed to leave the object in you to prevent bleeding, so I figure the hook may stop the bleeding for a while before it clots, then would fall out later (barbless #4 hook). The fish swam away fine but I hate the feeling that the fish may possible be floating downstream . I was wondering how often this happens to you guys and if there are ways to prevent it. I have had this happen fly fishing trout and fishing bait for steelhead, but never fly fishing steelhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 12:29 PM

I never fish egg patterns, that never seems to happen to me. Maybe theres a connection...
Old 03-14-2006, 02:22 PM

I have used egg patterns, as well as other flies cast upstream and fished slack on the drift, but I haven't had a fish swallow the fly to this extent. When I used to fish corkies and yarn, I never had a fish swallow one of those rigs either.

I suspect this may have been a fluke. Sometimes a flish will swallow something inedible, and, instead of expelling the foreign object out of its mouth, it will pump it out through its gill openings. Maybe this happened in your case.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 03-16-2006, 01:09 PM

I've only had it happen a couple of times over many years. The common 'thread' was the fly (trailer) was a size 12 or 14 'bug pattern.' Suspect the fish just thought it was food and 'self hooked' itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.