Danielsson customer service????? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Thumbs down Danielsson customer service?????

I purchased two Evotec LW 8/11s and two spare spools back when the reels first came out. I spent over $800.- for the reels and spools!!!! About a month after I purchased them, I started to notice some corrosion at the mounting screw locations for the counter weight and winding handle. I found this surprising since the reels were so new and I am one of those guys who removes my line and soaks my reels in warm water after use.

Well, no matter what I did, the corrosion just continued to get worse resulting in severe pitting around the screw area. On one spool, the integrety of the handle is now suspect This is, of course, corrosion due to electrosis of dissimilar metals, and I suspect the stainless screws were of poor quality and/or the anodizing was poor or non exsistant at the threaded holes. I would note that this occured on two of my spools, the other two have not done this and they have all been used for about the same amount of hours!

I recently decide to contact Danielsson concerning the problem and asked them if they would replace the two spool frames under warrenty I explained the situation as above and this is the response I received back from Tomas Danielsson:

__________________________________________________ _______________

"Hello

The area around the screws are a sencetive for galvanic corrosion. Have you rinsed them after fishing in salt water?

Best regards

Tomas Danielsson, Danielsson Innovation AB"

__________________________________________________ _______________

Norm

Last edited by viflyer; 03-15-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 12:31 PM

Did you contact Ron Larson in Oregon? He handles warranty in US. I have two Danielssons bought (after LOOP). Love 'em.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Norm -

Thomas is a brilliant engineer, honest businessman, and valued sponsor. I don't see his personal reply as 'blowing you off' rather he is asking a question. You should answer it as you did here, "yes I washed it carefully every time" and ask for information to have them serviced. As chromer suggested Ron Larson in Oregon is a great resource in North America.

I own several Danielssons and have no corrosion problems and would wager that I expose them to salt more than you do, and rinse them less. So you might have a valid issue especially since your other Danielssons don't corrode. I have not even heard of this happening with others who use them as I do.

Did you ask the question "can you send me replacement screws?" or "what can I do about it?".

Which screws are you talking about?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-14-2006, 02:15 PM

I'd have to agree with Viflyer that he was blown off. At least I would feel similarly in his circumstance, as the response to the warranty question was very much less than satisfactory. At best, the company response requires more follow-up and a delay in the warrenteed replacement.

I hope what happened is that some underling took care of the situation for the boss and that Danielsson will replace the frames. No matter how good a manufacturing process is, there will always be some mistakes or omissions resulting in a defective product.

Usually high end manufactures such as Danielsson take things back and make them right with no questions asked. I'm surprised by the response Viflyer got.

My .02

--Eric
Old 03-14-2006, 02:21 PM

These are not the reels produced by Danielsson since the splitt with Loop. My reels are the original Loop Evotec LW 8/11. I was told by Loop to contact Danielsson directly since they now handle warrenty claims on the original Loop Evotec LWs.

Norm

Last edited by viflyer; 03-15-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:02 PM

try calling him at 541 673-9810
Old 03-15-2006, 08:11 AM

Well, I received an e-mail Tomas Danielsson explaining that he was only asking about the care of the reel because it helps them evaluate problems for further production, and was not implying that I took poor care of the product.

So, Chromer you were correct! It was ONLY a question and I probably over reacted. Tomas said to just send in the spools and he would replace them. He also said that the early reels did have some problems.

Case closed!

Norm
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 AM

I went ahead and edited my posts to reflect, that infact, there was a misunderstanding and I overreacted a bit. I do not want to spread unwarrentd criticisim of Tomas Danielsons customer service because of miscommunication!!

Feel free to amend your posts!

Norm

Last edited by viflyer; 03-15-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:54 AM

Very glad it all worked out.

--Cheers,

Eric
Old 03-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Good to see that both of you (vendor, customer) have such good character!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.