February Fly of the month contest - Winner! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 12:29 PM

February Fly of the month contest - Winner!

Well sports fans! Another great contest comes to an end, and we do have a winner. t.kelly and his fantastic story about The Sea Run Browns took the top spot. It is reprinted below for your reading pleasure. Great story t.kelly, PM me with your snail mail and I will send you your fly.

And congrats and thanks to the rest of you who submitted stories. They were all great and deserve something. Wish I had time to tie all of you a fly.

For those of you who have not seen the stories please take a look at the attached link.
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=22096
There are some good ones. Very entertaining stuff.

Also, take a look at the Striper Board for the March Fly of the month contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.kelly
Sea Run Browns

To the best of my recollection it was in the early 80’s and I was at my mother-in laws’ place in Falmouth for Memorial Day weekend. The striper population had yet to recover so if you wanted to go fly fishing it usually meant fishing the surrounding ponds for trout or bass. I on the other hand was going to try something different, I was going after the elusive sea run brown trout, the fisherman’s version of snipe hunting. I had recently read an article about the Coonamesset River that had a handy little map showing you where to park and to fish for the sea runs and it was only minutes from where I was staying. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Coonamesset it meanders its way through a cranberry bog and a short woodsy section before it flows under route 28, there it changes into a tidal estuary system and that’s where you fish for the trout. The water in the estuary was the color of coffee, the banks where lined with high grass and bushes making casting difficult at best. Across the pool was a condo and if you just waded a mere few feet from shore you sank down in what seemed to be bottomless mud. In fact later that summer I mentioned to a cantankerous old cape coder that I was fishing the Coonamesset and he said “Oh you mean the cesspool”. It had to be one of the last places on earth where one would expect to catch a trout, but there I was at sunrise on that Memorial Day weekend flaying away

Apparently I wasn’t the only one to read this article because within an hour there were a half dozen of us getting our cast caught in the bushes and our feet stuck in the mud. This futility lasted most of the morning until two fishermen showed up around 9 A.M. I was thinking these late risers won’t even find a suitable place to fish never mind catching them. They surveyed the situation and pointed to the condo side of the pool where an old tree was. The two entered the river just below route 28 (which was now starting to back up with beach traffic) and proceeded to wade towards the middle of the pool. It would be only a matter of time I thought before they started to sink in the mud, but to my surprise they just kept walking until they reached the middle then angled across to the other side. By now everyone had stop fishing to see what these two were up to. When they neared the old tree the lead angler turned to his partner and said in an Irish whisper said “There stacked up here like cords of wood” He executed a couple of cast near the tree with no results, then tied on a lighter tippet and cast again. Soon his line came tight and rod bowed over, the silvery fish ran to the middle of the pool made a couple of leaps and broke off. From what I could see the trout was a good 2-3 lbs. This scene played out 3 other times before he landed one. Now it was angler #2 turn and he soon hooked up with one that looked to be of several lbs. The fish caused such a ruckus with all its jumping and thrashing that people came out of their condos’ to see the results of the battle. (he lost that fish).For the next hr. these two anglers put on a show that was as good if not better than anything would see on E.S.P.N. or O.L.N. Between them they caught 7 sea-run-browns from 2to 4 lbs. and lost at least that many. One fish was even to presented to a condo owner for breakfast. After wading back I just had to talk to them. They explained to me that in all these estuaries on the south side of the cape that hold sea-runs there are underground springs near the shore and that the trout will hold there in the cool water and on some days like today you can get them to eat. Their fly of choice was the sparrow and more than likely than not you had to go with a light tippet. I wish I could say that armed with this knowledge I became an accomplished sea-run-brown angler that summer, but I didn’t. Though I did get quite good at finding them, just couldn’t the dam things to hit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.