Fly Shop Attitude - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 06:24 PM

GK, I know that you are not saying:
"Honey, pour me the f-ing cup of coffee and give me a cute smile while your doing it. I mean, it's not like you're freakin' Juan Valdez."
But it still kinda sounds like it. A little respect from both sides would make life so much easier for every one.

The shop guy knows the difference between a wannabe and someone that can catch a fish without a guide. There are plenty of them who are are guides, certified casting instructors, inovative flytyers and acomplished fishermen in their own right. Some could perhaps even show Lefty a thing or two. A customer that can show them a thing or two makes their day.
I would say that for every idiot clerk (and here are more than a few) there are countless legions of jerks, bozos, hacks, "experts", braggarts, contrarians, drunks, self styled royalty, and folks that need to get a life. Oh, and it has nothing to do with rich and poor. A-hole knows no socio-economic barrier. It can be tough for even the best shop guy to weave his way in and out of these black holes disguised as people. Thank goodnes there are so many really good customers, you almost forget the 1 in a thousand that can really sour ones day. But that's life, and a good shop employee has to laugh it off so he can get back to what he really enjoys. Sharing his passion for flyfishing. He's not in it for the bucks. So please be kind.

And one more thing, wally world, sportsmart and dick's are hardly competition. Cabelas, Orvis and BassPro's prices are the same as the small flyshop's so if the service is better, they win. That could be said for any competing flyshop.

Pescaphile, in your case, not having a local flyshop would be the least of my concerns.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 01:31 AM
President of CAC

The Rudest Fly shop ..or should I say Tackle shop is this guy Barry Thurston on Nantucket, I may have the spelling wrong , but this guy is a real creaton...The shop is a joke also... probably spends to much time with the mucky-mucks on that Island... So, I go to a nice place like Cross down the street and what a difference....This was 5 years ago and I can't forget it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2006, 04:38 AM
resigned

John. I was there last fall and the only guide service/fly shop was close to the wharf. I agree with you about Barry. After a visit with him ten years ago, he was all about himself and nothing else. If you wanted info, forget it, regardless of how many flies you bought. I think he's gone!

Phil
Old 03-06-2006, 02:04 PM

So when he picked up the reel later, the grumpy dude was gone and the new dude was quite pleasant.

However, he showed me the set up this morning and they rigged the reel up all wrong. It's one of those cheapy $26 okuma reels with click/pawl drag in only one direction. So when the line goes out there is no drag as it is presently rigged(and backlash central), only drag on the retrieve.

Ah, well... I'll check out Charlie's Fly Box as suggested. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:14 AM

Well Pesca, don't feel bad or good depending on the case, I live in an area that is about the 15th largest metropolitan area in the US and we don't have a viable fly shop. It's pretty bad when I have to get what I need, and I'll spend a lot of money to get the best, via the internet. It's a shame!

Mel
Old 03-09-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz
[rant]

I really don't get this constant phenomenon.

A friend from work is jazzed to get into fly fishing this year. He brought in his reel into one of the last "good" local shops in the area to buy some fly line and have them put it on. My friend doesn't know the lingo yet didn't know exactly what type of line to get and got a grumpy "well, you are going to have to do better than that."

Seriously. The wording my friend used was complete noob speak too. Bells and whistles should have gone off in that shop employee's head to be extra helpful and friendly.

A return customer was instantly lost. He was going to stock his fly box up,get tippet and the other bells and whistles too but just had them do the line due to the rudeness. He has no plans to go back unless he is desperate.

I recommended the shop so now I doubt I'll go there anymore either. These places just don't get it that customer service is ALL they have going for them these days. When this is not offered then there is NO REASON not to go online or go to Dick's, Sportman's Warehouse,Cabellas ect.

[/rant]
Exactly. My local shop is in need of some customer Relations help as well. Over the past two years or so I have finally broken thruogh the ICE at our shop and now get treated well. I have spent so much money at the big retail stores and online, that shopping local is almost a thing of the past. Sad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.