Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pimp my ride!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
What was your very first ride, be it boat, canoe, kayak, or float tube?

Back than:

Here's mine, a 17 foot Bristol with 3/8 marine plywood and teak transom. Back than it was pushed by a 'Rude 35 hp. manual pull start. Later I indulged and repowered it with a 33 hp Evanrude electric start. No charging unit. No electronics than. You payed attention in shallow rocky areas.

Very few SUV's around than, unless you own an International or Jeep. Had no problem pulling the rig with a 1962 Chevy Bel Aire with a 383 cu. in. block. That's my neighbors 57 Chevy in the background.

Now:

What was your first rig or current for that matter? Seems like it would be great question this time of year. What type of vessel and time (year) you got into boating might be interesting

See less See more
#2 ·
Ray,

That 17 Bristol is beautiful. Do you know if it is still on the water somewhere in New England? Out here in the NW there seems to be many similiar type wooden run abouts still going. One reason is they stay in the water most of the year and that seems better for them then being stored to dry out. There are a lot of them at the marina with beautiful custom canvous covers. Some still have the old 35 rudes in perfect working order.

As for me my grandfather gave me the family dory when I was 6 years old. I really couldn't carry the oars they were too big. Hard to get those oars moving in the right dirrection but once you did that dory moved pretty good. The dory came down to Weymouth from his fathers farm in New Brunswick, in the deprression they fished Cod and farmed both to survive. Wish I still had it for a hobby project to work on with my son.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch of boats, a 32 foot Rhodes Chesapeke sloop that I can't part with I love it so much. We keep it in Seattle 5 minutes from the house. We also have a Mason 44 cutter sloop which we are spending every bit of our spare time preping for a circumnavigation of the world next year. We just put a new Yanmar 56 hp in her this month and had all the standing rigging done new, mast painted and should be stepped next week. Plus the needed inflatables(2) Kayaks and a small 12 foot sloop my 13 yearold built last year. I even think there is a drift boat somewhere around. Our entire life is boats and as much as we love them the entire family can't wait to get out to my daughters ranch in Wyoming soon to get away from damn things for a couple weeks. If we had some good saltwater fishing still out here on the Puget Sound I would just own a Parker with an inboard and deep V. There would be a really good ice box in it and plenty of cold beer.

Today I had Your neighbors 57 chevy pass me on the road. Light green and white two tone and in mint condition, it was perfect I tell you.

#4 ·
1st boat

Ray, my 1st boat was a 15'5" home-made runabout side-console with a 40 hp electric start(jury rigged ,but worked ok) in 1 ft. chop you ot beat up pretty badly.

my current rig in a Jones Bros. light tackle 20ft. center-console

Tom D

#5 ·
Not much compared to most peoples rides, but this little tin boat ('70 or older?) has been with me since 1992. It's seen an enormous amount of time on the water and countless good times. It's a cartopper so I can launch it almost anywhere, and I used it so much last season that I pretty much left it on top of the car from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It's even transported me to 3 or 4 Boneclaves over the years :D .

Q

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.