march flies - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 04:14 PM

march flies

Hi

What flies would you reccomend for small to med. sized streams in march- mosly wild browns?

Also Anyone here fish the Neversink river in NY? I have 7 days off in 2 weeks and am thinking about going, I live about 2 and a half hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Flats Rat

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I've not fished the Neversink but I checked the New York Flyfisher's Guide (Eric Newman) and there are no hatches to speak of until April when the little black/brown stone is mentioned. The recommended approach this time of year is Streamers - I would guess fished slowly through the current seams. Small midges seem to be able to hatch at any temperature so it might be worth carrying a few griffiths gnats.

Check the regulations before you go out because according to the Guide, the trout season runs April through October and I have a feeling that includes catch and release in New York State.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the reply,

From what I've read so far you can fish the neversink river year round but only catch and release.

Im just getting back into fly fishing, I learned when I was about 12, now im 20. I,ve been reading and talking to everyone to gain all the information i can , but I have ALOT more to learn.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:54 AM

neversink

Loomis, I know this is a bit late for your trip to the Neversink, but here are a couple of useful sites regarding the river:

<email or PM for links>

I've fished the Neversink a few times in the last couple of years, and I recommend checking out the Unique Area. Requires a good hike, but you won't regret it.

Last edited by juro; 03-25-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.