Question about Rio Versatip line... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2006, 06:17 PM

Question about Rio Versatip line...

I have been using Rio's Windcutter versatip Spey line for a few months now with no problem (other than the limited casting abilities of the line. I want to upgrade to Grand Spey). It has worked great for me still.

Since I have been so pleased with the Windcutter versatip, I went out and bought Rio's Versatip for my single handed rod and am a bit disappointed... Doing shorter roll or single handed spey casts (25-40ft) are pretty tough to do. The line isn't loading right even with a perfect 'D' loop behind me and I can't throw a proper loop. I was using the type 4 sinking tip. I think it is because the 15' tips are universal from 4-15wt and aren't properly weighted for my rod and I am throwing roll casts with 50% 9wt and 50% who knows what.... I have not tried a backcast with it because the river I was fishing is only 35ft wide with brush lining it pretty heavily. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems with it. Before I bought this line I was using Cortland's 444 floating line or Scientific angler's sink tip and never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 08:09 PM

Another reason

why it is so important to test before you buy. The Grandspey is a long belly line, and unless you are experienced you may have some trouble with the longer belly. The midspey will get you to 70" plus with no shooting, so unless you anticipate longer distance, it might be a better choice.

For the single hand rod, it sounds like something is mismatched. Just watch Simon on the older "International video" to see how well the WC works on a single handed rod, when things are on. Get down to River Run Anglers in Carnation to try a bunch of lines and find out what works best for you. Saturday morning on the river will give you a real jump start.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 02-26-2006, 09:15 PM

You could try a Yancy line sold by you-know-who or make one yourself. Additionally, for the river you are fishing, a 15 ft tip is probably too long for most spots (like the spot where you caught the 22lber).
Old 02-27-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
You could try a Yancy line sold by you-know-who or make one yourself. Additionally, for the river you are fishing, a 15 ft tip is probably too long for most spots (like the spot where you caught the 22lber).
Ya, I know. I need to build some 5-8ft tips or something.

I went out again today and figured out a way to do the shorter casts. The line is built different so I had to adjust to it a bit. I needed to perform my roll casts more like a single spey and do a little quick snap at the end of the roll. It backcasts like a dream though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.