Bristol Bay Gold Mine - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2006, 08:43 AM

Bristol Bay Gold Mine

Anyone read the article in Fly Fisherman Magazine about the large gold mine they are planning to open in Bristol Bay, Alaska? It is supposed to be a open pit mine, which will dump large amounts of sediment and chemicals into the bay. This will damage one of Alaska's biggest salmon spawning waters. Since the company looking to do this is Candian they will have limited to no liability for the damage done. Trout Unlimited and several other local tribes and conservation groups are against it. The governor is pushing for an faster approval process for the company.

There is more information on this at:
this location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2006, 04:09 PM

It is a terrible thing. I guide in the Bristol Bay area during the summer, (have been for almost 10 years). I could not imagine what would become of the Upper Talarik and Mulchatna drainages if something like this was to occur. If you would like some more info pm me or email me and I'll send you some links to a group of concerned people that are trying to do something about the mine.

Good Fishing,

Silverscales
Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pertinent non-commercial links

Paradise in Peril
(Pebble Mine Area Video)
http://www.renewableresourcescoaliti...b1_25_06Sm.wmv

Pebble Mine Area Map
http://www.renewableresourcescoaliti..._resources.htm

Alaskans For Responsible Mining
http://www.reformakmines.org/

Renewable Resources Coalition
http://www.renewableresourcescoalition.org/

Bristol Bay Alliance
http://www.bristolbayalliance.com/
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-26-2006, 09:50 PM

The governor is pushing for an faster approval process for the company.

He will be lucky if he get 30% votes in November.
If they approved the mine , it will be long way before the mine become reality.
The approval process has to be corrupted, so it will be challenged in the court!
Stevens is against it ( at least one positive move on his site).
Under the new president ( 2008), the federal government may challenge it under clean water act. .

If McCain wins, watch ........ He is against right wing agenda, specially when they break the law, destroy environment to make quick $. He is strong proponent of action against global warming, drilling in ANWR etc.
If Hilary wins, the mine will never see the light too
Saying that, we have to fight the toxic ideas born in the head of Bush alias ( Murkowski, whose popularity is around 30%, like Bush)
Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 AM

666 Woha

Frank ran for Govenor to get revenge on the enviro's that shut down the pulp mills in Sitka and Ketchikan. There is no end to his thirst for the (destruction) development of "The Great Land", that we all know, some more than others!
I really do not think that Frank was interested in serving as Govenor for more than four years. He had the good sense to retire from the Senate of the United States and appoint his daughter to fullfill his term and to see her be re elected to her seat. Now he can retire and maybe even take over a high paid job as a lobbyist in Juneau or Washington. (hang the bastards)
Maybe I should embark on a discourse of the abomination of the Indicator as it pertains to Steelhead Fishing after all this is my 666 post on this website. Seems only logical that the Devil be it fishin or political be accounted for!!!

Last edited by Moonlight; 04-27-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 AM

I'm not so sure that Frank wont be running again. Those of his ilk are never sated in their quest to bulldoze, pave and make their back-room deals with their corporate fat-cat buddies and sleazy local cronies. Whether it be the Gravina Island or Knik Arm Bridges or roads up Lynn or Bradfiled Canals, Frank's all for 'em -local projects and maintenance of existing works be damned.

Frank's just put an order to erect new construction signs for all state projects. Not just new ones, but existing signs will be replacesd so that his crocodile grin and flabby jowls can leer at the public for $2500 a pop. Smells of publically-funded campaigning to me -unless of course it's soley bloated ego.

As salmo states, this guy is not popular. But that aint no guarantee in any means that he wont get re-elected.

Whether he runs again or not, Moonlight has it right where this fat cat will end up and what he'll be doing -unless of course he's "consulting" like Ben Stevens, Neil Bush, et al, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Last edited by pescaphile; 04-27-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.