Asia and fly fishing???? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM

Asia and fly fishing????

Hi there, I live and work in taiwan and have fished all my life, mostly freshwater and conventional salt. I started fly fishing 5 years ago and its become a wonderful addiction. I have fished in Australia, South Africa and Fiji. My question is: where do I go in asia? - phillipines, indonesia etc. Taiwan's marine life has been demolished by commercial fishing and pollution. There simply isnt anything to catch here except plastic bags and the occasional sofa floating in the surf!!!Travelling over here is relatively inexpensive and that means more time fishing and better equipment The phillipines and Indonesia are enormous and there must be more remote atolls and islands than anywhere else on earth. On paper they look like places with immense potential - the problem is that few people fly fish over here and those who do dont speak english so info is very hard to come by. Does anyone know anything about places in asia and fly fishing?? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Areas to the west and east of Torres Strait in Papua New Guinea / Indonesia look interesting on Google Earth. Looking at road structures Indonesia would be the better choice as there appear to be ample roads to good looking structure.

No idea what kind of company you might find in those areas, but I assume you don't have to 'lose your head' over it.

It would be a short flight to Australia as well from there, where we've been told the saltwater flyfishing is out of this world.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-23-2006, 12:58 PM

do a google search on "taimen mongolia"...

mmmm....someday...
Old 02-24-2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. Indonesia has been on my mind for a while, but I really dont feel like dealing with fanatics that hate westerners. I've looked into quite a few places and there is one place that seems to have everything a fly fisherman wants. The Andaman islands west of Thailand. 1.They are remote 2. the geography is perfect - plenty of sand flats with drop offs and channels leading to deeper water. Lots of bays and coves and estuaries with mangroves. 3. all the tropical fish species you could hope to find (except what you guys have in florida i.e. snook and tarpon). Apparantly this place has Giant trevally, bonefish, queenfish and other trevally species, pompano and permit. The indian government has restricted access to the place because of primitive tribes that still live on some of the islands as they did thousands of years ago. Tourism has recently become more popular there but there are no flights to the islands except through mainland India. That will all change in December when they will have charter flights from Bangkok to Port Blair (the "capital" of the Islands). I found the place while looking for fly fishing info on Thailand - where they have live aboard fishing holidays etc. that cater for rich folks who holiday in Thailand. They sail from Phuket in thailand to the Andamans where they fish for marlin and god knows what else. I'm sure this is without the knowledge of the indian government, but whatever. I simply dont have the money for a live aboard fishing holiday, and besides that, I want to fly fish and what they offer seems to be the typical thing for people who dont really fish but want to have a picture taken with a marlin. Anyways, they list all the species on this website and where they catch them and "Andaman Islands" came up behind all the great fly species they have listed. The reason I want info on places in asia is to perhaps go somewhere more accesible in the short term and perhaps when i gain a bit more experience to do a recon trip in December to the Andaman Islands. I was lucky enough to have a fantasctic guide for my trip to fiji - without him I prolly wouldn't have caught anything and thats the reason I would like to go to a known place first, before i end up on an island where I'll have to locate the fishing spots (and fish) myself.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:35 AM

I made the mistake of going to australia with my girlfriend LOL I found out about the good places to go two days before we left. Most of the fly fishing I did was blind casting for Tailor (bluefish) and that I only did for about one day total. The rest of the time I spent looking at landmarks and things, secretly wishing I could go fishing (guess I shouldnt say "Ive fly fished" Australia before. My apologies)
Old 02-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Australia is pretty close to taiwan but air tickets there are pretty expensive and the cost of living there is pretty high. Another thing about the Andamans is that accomodation is very affordable and you can hire a scooter in port blair to explore the place.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Looking for flats fishing in the Thai Islands

I was in Phuket 10 months before the tsunami and did lots of siteseeing and relaxing. No fishing.

Going back the Winter of 2009 for at least a week, to Phuket and/or koh Samui.

Does anyone have any info on the flats over there? This time I want to fish part of each day.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:20 PM

i did the phillipines three years ago with a company called skirt chasers. they were a scam in my opinion. three days and not a bite. whatever the locals have not scoffed up inshore the commercials have devastated off shore. areal shame. that said, i have heard of a guide on the island of cebu who people have spoke well of. he does some in shore fly fishing (wading). you may want to try a google search. let me know how you make out.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:13 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Sorry- error- I was thinking of a different Christmas Island (Central Pacific), NOT the one south of Indonesia ( but officially part of Australia). The Central Pacific island is famed for its bonefishing; couldn't find any promising info in that regard on the island south of Indonesia.
Flydoc

Last edited by flydoc; 01-03-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Just south of Torres Strait, Papua, New Guinea, is the Gulf of Carpentaria, a mecca of gamefish. I was there in 2006 and will be back in March. Many areas are closed to commercial fishing, thus a plethora of species. The jumping off place is Weipa, Australia. If you want more details, send me a pm. Just to assuage your curiousity, it is the best of the best.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM

There is some reasonable sailfishing out of Singapore. I have a client fishing down there in July.

The Andamans would be definately worth a look.

If you can get a cheap flight into Cairns then this opens up the whole of the tropical North of Australia which is a fly fishing mecca. I will be fishing out of Bamaga on Seafaris in July for Indo-Pacific permit. PM me if you are keen.

You can fly direct into Noumea, New Caledonia from Japan and this gives you the opportunity to fish one of the best big bonefish destinations in the world and the GT fishing is also world class.

Mat
Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteel337
I was in Phuket 10 months before the tsunami and did lots of siteseeing and relaxing. No fishing.

Going back the Winter of 2009 for at least a week, to Phuket and/or koh Samui.

Does anyone have any info on the flats over there? This time I want to fish part of each day.
Plenty of flats everywhere in Phang Nga Bay, Trang and Tarutao Marine National Park. Plenty of big mullet too.

Ko Libong in Trang Province has a big sea grass bed on the south side. The villagers protect that flat from fishermen, but that's to prevent destructive fishing methods. I doubt they'd have a problem with a fly fisherman. I know the village headman, so I could ask for permission and I'm certain I'd get it.

There are lots of small Yellowfin Tuna that frequently turn the surface into a froth. I've seen loads of sailfish on the east side of Ko Adang too.

PM me if you wish. I've lived in southern Thailand for the past 15 years.

Ciao,
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.