Whipped cream in a can is my diet secret - Fly Fishing Forum
Fitness & Favorite Recipes Good living through good cooking

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Whipped cream in a can is my diet secret

No I don't mean put the nozzle in the mouth and let er rip... but since you fish longer when you're not dead I thought this has a little to do with flyfishing and well here it is, my diet secret... the can of whipped cream.

Sounds crazy but while crafting my new dietary strategy I noticed that 2 tbsp of whipped cream is only like 15 calories and 1.5g carb. Huh? That's all I ever use anyway.

I put about half that onto a handful of fresh blueberries for dessert and it feels like I am breaking the rules while getting a high dose of antioxidants and have something so I don't miss the ice cream at all. Negligible carbs and calories and delicious!

When I drink a low carb (3g) high-protein diet shake for lunch a dollop makes that chalk-olate shake taste damn good - like dessert. Especially that last gulp. Total of less than 5g carb and as much protein as a steak. Less calories than I can burn in one stint on the rowing machine.

My point is that if you want to live long and fish long, you have to maintain health when you get over the hill. For me the hill was the mid-forties and I don't want to fall shy of my golden days on the flats - I earned it damn it!

The key is to defeat the mental desires that are the ruin of most diets, and sometimes they are not the intuitive ones - like a bit of whipped cream. Making the healthy foods seem like they are indulgent eliminates the mental deprivation thing that is the healthy lifestyles worst enemy.

It's about setting up a regimen of eating that creates a nutrient rich diet low in carbs, saturated fats and calories that will keep you alive long enough to reap what you have sown into an angling lifetime. It's a cruel fate we face - by the time we reach the venerable status of wise old timer our time is running out. Beat that rap!

I have found more foods than I can even cycle through my meal plan since I started this dietary quest. It's kind of like the flybox when you've had enough time to tie - it runneth over with varieties you might never even have time to fish.

Spend a little time tuning your eating habits - you'll be amazed at the results!

(remember only a dollop!!!!)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Mr. Mom

Juro

Low fat ricotta cheese, unsweetened coacoa powder, splenda, dash of vanilla extract. Mix it up. One dollop of whipped cream on top. Enjoy!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds decadent but decent to the bod... good one I'll try it.

On a related note I've improved my berry "pattern"...

Microwave the fresh blueberries with some blackberries thrown in. Micro the blackberries first for like 20 secs, then throw the blueberries in for 30 secs to get an even degree of done-ness.

Blast with Smart Balance Butter Blast spray - soy based butter flavor with zero calories, zero fat, zero carbs! This complements the natural sweet juices that come out of the berries when microwaved and makes it taste like the filling of a good pie or cobbler.

Let cool a little then one dollop of whipped cream (15 calories, 1.5g carb - non fat even better) and enjoy!

I am going to try adding some crushed walnuts or slivered roasted almonds (off the charts in monosaturated 'good' fats and a good source of protein) next.

Berries particularly blueberries are considered to be a critical part of a health diet regimen and among other things are the single highest source of antioxidants listed on the nutrition chart.

The total has very low calories, low fat, low carbs but tastes amazing.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.