22lb Steelhead Yesterday, but a shameful catch... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 05:08 PM

22lb Steelhead Yesterday, but a shameful catch...

Yesterday me and the wife went out to do some fishing on the upper Skagit river. She is afraid of fly fishing (hooks in the face) so I was instructing her on drift fishing and spoons. We went the whole day with no Steelhead to show for it. On the way home I decided to try a little local stream with my fly rod. I pull over and realize I didn't have it in the truck! I left it at home so nobody would break in and I forgot all about it. I was bummed but I decided to fish either way and I tied on a side-planer and a plug. I passed through the Honey-Zone and immediately my side planer disappeared along with quite a bit of line. After a nice long battle and a wonderful aerial display, I tailed the fish and got a few pictures as well as measurements and released him promptly.

40.5" long with a girth just over 20". Puts it quite close to 22lb.

Although this was my biggest steelhead to date and I should be happy, and I was sort of, I also had that feeling in my chest like I just lost a fish. Knowing that this aggressive buck would have most likely struck a well presented fly and knowing that this was the only day I didn't have my fly rod in my truck really hurts. I will never leave home without my fly rod again.

This morning I went back to the same hole with fly rod in hand and a blue fly attached. First swing and I had a hard take followed by a chrome steelhead breaking the surface. The battle ended short with the steelhead wrapping me on a submerged log. However I walked away smiling. I felt I accomplished something. I walked away smiling a little bigger this time, having learned something new, and a bigger appreciation for Steelhead on the fly.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 08:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I think we all know the feeling, and it's a big reason we all fly fish.

The link isn't working btw...
Old 02-21-2006, 07:47 PM

I have no way to upload pics I guess. Is there anybody that can put an image up if I email it to them?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:52 PM

Nevermind! Here is the image

Full Sized Image Here:
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/9559/p10100556tw.jpg

Last edited by SteelheadKid; 02-21-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM

WOW, nice fish!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:51 PM

Also wild

and not supposed to be out of the water.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 02-21-2006, 10:12 PM

I can't believe how big a fish you get out of that little stream.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Angry

It's against the law to hold Washington wild steelhead out of the water like that! That's too nice of a fish to be holding that far up the bank and that far out of the water. Your damn shoes are dry so we know what that fish went thru to get into your hands
Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'll bet that isn't a net mark on it's shoulder either, too fresh

Heck of a fish, but with all due respect it deserves better treatment than that. The most important thing is that its genes perpetuate the species.

Teflon,

That fish has swum as far as 7,000 miles since it wiggled from the gravel in that stream or one near it, sometimes as far as the Aleutians dodging sea lions, orcas, defying all odds to return successfully as the ultimate alpha trout - the wild steelhead trout. It finds it's own natal stream with the irrepressable urge to ensure that the mind-boggling concept of wild steelhead does not vanish from earth.

In my opinion we walk a fine line when we interact with this phenomenon - by catch and release angling we understand and learn to love and protect them. Yet it takes a very high level of care to ensure that this passion does not cross the line and harm them.

Hence the law that they must remain in the water. Sparky's Law Rules.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 PM

Juro, I'd probably have a hard time fishing for those fish considering what they've been through. I feel bad enough catching wild trout that never go further than a few hundred feet from where they're born.

I didn't realize they had such stringent laws for handling those fish. The OP should be more aware of those laws and respect them more.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
ive caught too many fish with similiar marks on them to accuse our soon to be enlightened fellow of overly poor fish handling. however, given the picture and such, it looks as the though the fish could of been handled with alot more care than he was.

i wont delete the photo as i am sure steelheadkid's enthuisiasm got ahead of him (ive been there) but hopefully this will be a lesson learned for steelheadkid that proper handling of our wonderful wild fish is not only the right thing to do but it is also the law.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:45 AM

I see no signs of mishandling. Only a big smile, a nice fish with some marks and the usual tacky 'hero shot'.

This sounds to be another un-enforceable law coming from the best of intentions to me. Probably the the best that will come about from it is awareness. Education is truly the key with this. Most folks want to do the right thing and the vermin do what they want regardless of the consequences.

The boots are indeed dry, but that's just not evidence of any mistreatment.

Congratulations kid. You no doubt enjoyed it as you should have (if you took good care of the fish.)

Last edited by pescaphile; 02-22-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

the fish looks in good shape for what has occured. this is a fly fishing board and I don't see any fly rods around. perhaps this pictured should have been posted on a board like that game fishing one. not that i am a purist but i do believe the site should stick to fly fishing and not gear fishing.

nice fish kid. bet he was fun to catch.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:09 AM

Agree with Sparkey and Pescaphile. We were all this way at one time when catching steelhead. Let's give the kid a chance as his enthuisiasm is good. We are going to need more young people to step up in the art of fly fishing for steelhead. And remember it's the art of fly fishing for steelhead that most of us love so much. I think from looking at the picture and what the kid has said on this board that he will be one of the few who eventually carries on the art of traditional steelhead flyfishing. We need more Sparkey's and steelheadkids.

Nice fish kid and eventually we hope you see it's the challenge on how you hook such a beautifull creature that matters.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:44 PM

OK, My issues with the pic, great fish nuf said.

One-- He is breaking the law
Two-- How do you land that fish and not get you boots damp?

Nice to see fish like that still in the gene pool and glad your wife got to see you land the fish.

flame away

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.