Bluefin jack and Bones - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 AM

Bluefin jack and Bones

Hallo again okes, My Saltwater trip this year had me wondering the "how to"
I am not very experianced , and thought I should aproach you guys on this. What I have learned is this, Giant Kingfish (caranx ignoblis) as wel as the Black-Tip kingfish (caranx sem), will atack anything it considers as "potential food" in the surf zone, Because they are not residants in the surf zone, they wait just before the reef, an sudenly do a hit and run on the residant baitfish, flying in with cosidreble speed, hit what they can, and off they go again, so I think they are not realy fuzy on what fly you use, its realy about having your fly in the right place at the right moment, that will gaurentee a hookup. The Bluefin kingfish (caranx melampygus) on the otherhand seems to "stay" in the rocky surf-zone, they are completely fimiliar with their suroundings, and seems to almost shoal with the baitfish, and so far I have not had a single take from one of them, although they are the most common kingfish at the time and the place I fish, every place I encounter them they seem to have the same disaise, totaly egnoring the fly, some times they chase down the fly, and tyhe last 2-3 feet they turn away. So what I think is that because they live in the surf zone they are very fimiliar with their pray, and thus refusing flies, I tried any thing from atractor-flies, to close imetative-flies, I've never heard of one that took a popper, color schemes , from white to black and from chartruse to turquise and nothing !!!!

Did some of you okes target these fish exclusevly, and have some advice to offer

#2 Bonefish

Yes they do exist here (in the surfzone, as a mater of fact the world record bone was held by an South African fish of 8,61 kg/18,9 lbs) I,ve seen them on numerous ocations, but they were small, only around say 8-10", they are very often cought bu bait-fishers, to be used as livebait because they are such strong swimmers, they claim, that thay are cought at night, wich from a flyfishing prespective are not that easaly observed, so planing a stradagy on hooking one is not that simple, So if any one can enlighten me on who this "Mr Bone" realy is and what his table manners are, like it will be apreatiated as well, they are not targeted at all on fly here, but my saying is: if you don't aim at your target, chances are you'll miss it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Flats Rat

Hi Sandman

Welcome! South Africa aounds like an exciting place to fish.

The behavior of those fussy Bluefin kingfish refusing flies sounds very similar to Roosterfish on the tropical Pacific coast. They can be extremely frustrating for fly fishermen. But, if they are feeding, they can be caught. You just have to "crack the code".

Down in Cabo (Mx) they use the "bait and switch" technique to get the Roosterfish into aggresive mood. A live Cabillito (small baitfish) is slowly trolled just outside the surf zone until a Rooster comes up to investigate. It is then reeled in and whippped away so the Rooster can't catch it. This drives them nuts! Making a quick fly cast whilst they are still looking for the baitfish will result in a hook-up - sometimes.

You really need a boat or at least have a friend with you to work the 'teaser' whilst you get ready to make the cast with the flyrod.

Now an 18.9lb Bonefish on a 9wt from the surf would really be something

I've seen photos of 20lb+ bonefish taken on bait in Australia so they are there to be caught.

Thanks for sharing your fishing experiences.

Tell us more
Old 02-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My friend Dennis Worley of Seattle has quite a bit of experience with bluefin trevally...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=13246

I hear it's quite the challenge!

an 18# bonefish

that would be an insane fight on a 7wt
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-24-2006, 12:59 PM

check out "Bamba.co.za" or "Ufudu Fly Fishing adventures". Those guys are expert Kingfish (trevally) hunters. They fish the south african east coast for them and Im sure if you read some of the fishing reports and articles on their websites you'll find some useful info about Kings. For bonefish, Lefty Kreh's book" Fly Fishing in Saltwater" has excellent advice on them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.