barbless flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2006, 05:49 AM
natty natty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chalk Springs
Posts: 3
barbless flies

Does anyone know any online tackle shops that sell barbless flies?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Sandman Caranx Sandman Caranx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Africa
Posts: 23
Why is that a consern, press down the existing barb with a set of pliers, or am I missing something ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Morania Morania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Knotts Island, NC
Posts: 30
Send a message via ICQ to Morania
It must've been a concern....

or he wouldn't have come to us for help. Here. Watch this.....

Hi Natty. Thanks for practicing humane catch-and-release procedures.

There aren't many barbless fly suppliers out there. (Haven't really surfed for any, though.)
You're going to have to keep a small pair of hard pliers in your vest and flatten the barbs yourself. Some guys advised me to file them completely off but so far I've found that the fish will slip right off with the barb pinched down.

Hope this helps.
__________________
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-18-2006, 07:49 AM
juro's Avatar
juro juro is offline
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Steelhead country|striper coast|bonefish belt
Posts: 20,585
Thumbs up

Natty -

I buy barbless hooks which saves a step then tie my own, or you can try Kaufmanns Streamborn who does in fact sell barbless flies in certain patterns.

Again, it's very easy to just flatten the barb with a pair of pliers as mentioned above, I recommend doing it before you leave home so you don't need to think about it on the water.

Some brands of hooks have a very large barb that is not easily flattened or not at all. I would avoid flies tied on such poor quality hooks if you care about barbless.

For some large saltwater hooks I tie I grind the barb off with a dremel tool.

Barbless is much safer for the angler too - especially when teaching children or fishing in wind. Keeping constant tension with a bent rod makes it nearly impossible for the fish to throw the hook. Good idea fishing barbless in my book.
__________________
IFFF Certified THCI @ 2005
Capeflyfisher Guide Service
Island Hopper, Guitarist, Incurable Dreamer
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-18-2006, 09:33 AM
teflon_jones's Avatar
teflon_jones teflon_jones is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado Front Range
Posts: 1,310
Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Not trying to start a debate here, but I've never had a trout or any other species die because I use barbed flies. With the soft tissue in a trout's mouth, removing a barbed hook really isn't very difficult. I could also argue that the barbless angler is more likely to play to fish less aggressively in order to reduce the chances of the hook coming out, and you're much more likely to kill a fish because you play it for too long than because it takes an extra 5 or 10 seconds to get a hook out. But to each their own, fish what you want!

I understand why people think that barbless flies are better, but there's really no scientific evidence to back up any benefit to them. This link has quick summaries to a lot of different studies that support this, and there's a ton of other info on the web that shows no link between barbed flies and fish mortality.
http://www.reellife.co.nz/reellife/1...e_sthland2.asp
__________________
My passion for catching fish is eclipsed only by the fish's passion not to be caught.
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-18-2006, 10:03 AM
juro's Avatar
juro juro is offline
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Steelhead country|striper coast|bonefish belt
Posts: 20,585
Debate can be a good thing, they bring out good points as long as no one takes them personally.

With very few exceptions I fish barbless all the time for a number of reasons. I didn't start out that way, but switched because of what I saw with my own eyes and experienced in a lifetime of fishing.

I watch people struggle to get hooks out all the time. It's criminal what people do to fish. My eyes have told me "don't be like that" so I went barbless.

Most people lose fish without barbs and switch back. I stuck it out and will go head to head with anyone landing fish on barbless hooks, yes it took a little while but I am a much better angler. The secret is not to baby the fish as you mentioned but to keep a bend in the rod - therefore possibly being more aggressive in getting the fish in than the barbed angler's propensity to allow slack into the line.

Barbless hooks have taught me to keep a bend in the rod like nothing else!

Besides, there are many people learning to flyfish lately and their casting and thinking about wind is not immediately going to lead them away from the risk of hooking oneself.

A barbless hook is an ouch while a barbed hook is a trip to the hospital.

I am not trying to provoke either, but just to show how people do have differing opinions I feel barbed hooks are like training wheels, you only need them if you can't keep a fish tight.

To be perfectly honest each fishery influences my choice. I fish barbless for trout, steelhead, stripers, bonefish and salmon which are my primary target species. But for tarpon I might keep the barb at least for the first one of the day, etc.

.02
__________________
IFFF Certified THCI @ 2005
Capeflyfisher Guide Service
Island Hopper, Guitarist, Incurable Dreamer
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-18-2006, 10:26 AM
photog photog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 7
Scott,

Thanks for the link. Interesting info.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-18-2006, 10:38 AM
chromer chromer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I understand why people think that barbless flies are better, but there's really no scientific evidence to back up any benefit to them. This link has quick summaries to a lot of different studies that support this, and there's a ton of other info on the web that shows no link between barbed flies and fish mortality.
http://www.reellife.co.nz/reellife/1...e_sthland2.asp
Thats a debate between treble hooks and single hooks onthat link there looks like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:56 PM
teflon_jones's Avatar
teflon_jones teflon_jones is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado Front Range
Posts: 1,310
Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromer
Thats a debate between treble hooks and single hooks onthat link there looks like
About half of the quotes are for treble versus single, but half are for barbed versus barbless.
__________________
My passion for catching fish is eclipsed only by the fish's passion not to be caught.
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-18-2006, 01:20 PM
juro's Avatar
juro juro is offline
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Steelhead country|striper coast|bonefish belt
Posts: 20,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I understand why people think that barbless flies are better, but there's really no scientific evidence to back up any benefit to them.
Well that to me is a failing of the 'scientists' involved since there is mountains of anecdotal evidence. Just watch saturday morning fishing shows. Boy do they struggle to remove a hook! Mine slip right out once I land the fish and let the slack into the line. Ever see the guys that smash the 'hairball' jig to get the barb to release? Might as well punch the fish in the face.

In fact there is plenty of scientific evidence in the juvenile pacific salmon fishery. In fact so much that it is law to use barbless hooks. The difference between barbed hooks and barbless hooks when releasing 'shakers' (juvenile ocean feeding coho, chinook, pink, sockeye, chum salmon) is beyond significant.

In fact BC requires the use of a hook reversing tool which works with barbless hooks to avoid touching or boating the young salmon.

In my own experiences the release technique of a barbless fisherman involves significantly less handling of the fish. No grappling involved, just a little reversal and out it comes in the blink of an eye.

The 'evidence' is in the way the fish swims away - like a lightning bolt after having not been handled at all.

FWIW / IMHO the perception that barbless is not better for the fish is held by those who do not persist long enough with it to discover the benefits.

.02
__________________
IFFF Certified THCI @ 2005
Capeflyfisher Guide Service
Island Hopper, Guitarist, Incurable Dreamer
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 02-18-2006, 02:55 PM
chromedome chromedome is offline
chromedome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NIAGARA
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
The 'evidence' is in the way the fish swims away - like a lightning bolt after having not been handled at all.
I've also felt that a good guage of how healthy the fish is going back in the water is how vigorously it swims away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 02-18-2006, 04:46 PM
griz griz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: colorado
Posts: 66
i'm actually surprised to hear someone argue for barbs. for once, i actually agree with juro...

besides it being better and less damaging for the fish ,it's just less work for me too. Also, I do 99.99% catch and release so if i lose a fish in a fight then so be it.

I have used barbed hooks up in AK on rough days though but ,if possible, crush the barb before removal. Then continue using the now barbless fly because the skunk has left the river.

Last edited by griz; 02-18-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 02-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Xiphias Xiphias is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 16
barbed vs de-barbed

I fish flies but also fish plugs if, having cast all morning, and I need a fish.
My reasoning:
One morning out in my canoe I trolled a spin rod and a fly rod so of course the both hooked up. I pulled in the schoolie on the fly rod and a much larger fish on the spin rod. As luck would have it the larger fish through the lure which lodged it lightly in my hand the schoolie then started bouncing firmly seating three trebles in hand. OUCH.
My rule is:
ALL flies barbless. Lures with trebles debarbed and only one treble if it does not affect the lures action or is not a large lure.
Forget releasing the fish I want to be able to release me.
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 02-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Capt.PeteRowney Capt.PeteRowney is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Islamorada, FL
Posts: 10
As a full-time flats guide in the Florida Keys I tend to have my hands on a lot of fish. Depending on what we're fishing for and what make of hook I will either flatten the barb entirely, round it or leave it be. Barbless or not, I absolutely do not use stainless. Catching a tarpon with six feet of algae covered leader attached to a stainless hook will demonstrate that stainless hooks have no place in your arsenal. I hate rusty hooks but a little freshwater and a waterproof box go a long way to keeping your flies look good. If I know I am going trout fishing or mackerel fishing and we're going to be hooking a large number of fish- no barb. There is no sense in tearing the lips off of fish when you're getting them every other cast. I hate beating fish up and the truth is if you stay tight to the fish you are going to get him boatside, with or without a barb. Much of the time I will round the barb; crimp it but not entirely flatten it when fishing for snook and reds. The only reason I do this is because I want the fish in the boat and some of my anglers are less experienced than others in keeping constant pressure on the fish. I do this with hooks with larger barbs like Mustad. You get better hook penetration and you don't tear the fish up as much on removal. The only time I leave the barb is when I am fishing for bonefish, permit and tarpon. The reason- the opportunity. Simply getting one of the above on fly is a good day and I don't want to leave anything to chance. Almost all of my bonefish, permit tarpon flies are tied on hooks with smaller barbs like Owner, Gamakatsu, Tiemco and Daiichi. These chemically sharpened hooks stay stuck and are easier to remove with a smaller barb. Remember- No Stainless! -Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 02-18-2006, 09:21 PM
juro's Avatar
juro juro is offline
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Steelhead country|striper coast|bonefish belt
Posts: 20,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz
i'm actually surprised to hear someone argue for barbs. for once, i actually agree with juro...
Well then I've changed my mind!

Just kidding, I think we are very alike in spirit

Capt. Pete -

I've spent seasons full time guiding up here in striper country too and have observed that most do use stainless up here because the flies don't get popped off very often, very rarely. I don't think stripers have a problem ridding themselves of a barbless stainless single fly.

If bluefish are around the hook is gone in a split second, but they just chew it up and spit out the little ball of shrapnel later. Ok seriously, the point about stainless is valid when applied to bluefish although I believe they will also expel the hook in short order.

I fish tube flies more and more which gives me flexibility for the hook I choose. A non-stainless hook is a fine choice there.

But I have striper flies that are several years old and have caught countless stripers and if not for the damage to the dressing from fish they would be as good as new.

I think I will always fish non-stainless for tarpon based on your point. However I don't see it as being an issue for stripers. Blues I need to think about it. But I have never caught or seen a blue with someone elses fly in it's mouth although an incredibly high number of flies are lost to blues each season so I have to assume they are expelled effectively. I have caught a very large blue off Fisher's Island with a bent piece of steel in it's gut about 5 inches long.

This is another cause for barbless hooks, to allow the fish to easily expel it with no tension from the line when lost.
__________________
IFFF Certified THCI @ 2005
Capeflyfisher Guide Service
Island Hopper, Guitarist, Incurable Dreamer
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barbless ? Trevor B Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions 34 01-12-2007 03:29 PM
barbless hooks? BlueH20 Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions 25 08-24-2004 05:37 PM
Barbless seuss >> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies 3 04-28-2003 05:11 PM
Barb or Barbless... why? Stone Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion 20 05-19-2002 09:48 AM
Talk me out of tossing my barbless flies Roop Stripers and Coastal Gamefish 18 08-09-2000 11:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.



Copyright Flyfishingforum.com (All Rights Reserved)