"New Charge" on your credit card? Heads up! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 09:03 AM

"New Charge" on your credit card? Heads up!

I don't know how "universal" this may be .... yet ... but MasterCard and Visa appear to be hitting you with a new fee for credit card usage OUT SIDE the United States. It's called a "Foreign transaction charge" of 1% based upon the 'purchase' of goods/services outside of the USA. Yes, that would include Canada and Mexico.

First time I got one of these was our trip to Canada this past November for a tackle purchase at 'Fred's Custom Tackle' (yes, it's a very big/good shop) in Chilliwack, BC. It was an extra $6.50 some cents on a $215.00 Canadian purchase. Math suggests that's waaay over 1%, so there may be some 'base charge,' plus 1%.

What brought this to my attention was a credit card application I just got from USAA and the following was included in the 'fine print.'

"Foreign Transaction Charge. MasterCard and Visa charge us up to 1% of the amount of any transaction made on your Account in a country outside of the United States of America. As a result, we charge you a !% Foreign Transaction Charge ... and add it to the amount of the transaction."

So, a few questions you may want to ask your credit card issuer ... 1) Do you charge this fee? 2) do you charge an additional fee above and beyond this as a 'handling fee? 3) If I make a purchase outside of the US how/what basis is the 'exchange rate' computed for your billings.

Why three? First one is obvious, second one - per the terms of your credit account - could entail an additional fee not based upon the amount of the purchase/credit transaction, the third is are you getting the best international rate, or an adjusted "buy/sell" rate set by the card issuer. This 'spread' can be considerably different than the "posted" exchange rate.

Be Aware!!

Fred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 09:51 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Citibank, according to the NY Times, does not charge a transaction fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Middle Aged Member

I noted that for the first time on a business trip to New Zealand last spring.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Flats Rat

Nothing like that on my Citi cards. The only thing is the finance charges are separated out by country. Logical since FX rates move between the time of purchase and refection on the card. Actual FX rates I get from Citi have always been exxtremely competitive.

p.s. I don't work for Citbank!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.