inflatable pontoon,stand up or sit down,which is better - Fly Fishing Forum
Inflatable Watercraft Rafts, pontoon boats, kickboats, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 02:02 PM

inflatable pontoon,stand up or sit down,which is better

i fish the west & east branch of the deleware,also fish the kenebec in maine and other rivers out west,what is the best all around pontoon for these rivers,I've seen guys go down on the west branch with the pontoons but wasnt sure what was a good size,I was looking at the 10.5 FT skykomish sunrise with the platform or the 9 FT trout unlimited colorado river sit down pontoon,but wasnt sure what would be better or managable in these rivers are they to short or too long just was not sure,i didnt want to go down in a cadalac and take out the fisherman wading in please help with the choice,thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Here are a few thoughts...

if you have a very wadeable river, the smaller one will provide good transportation from pool to pool so you can fish on foot (which I prefer). Small ones like the bronco (which I own) are easy to take down in fact it fits right in my truck intact. Don't use fins or you will regret it, just pull oars and fish from shore with these small boats. Anchoring a small boat in a river is a bad idea. Trust me.

If not, then you will fish from the boat - then you need a bigger one with the stand-up gear and floor. You might need a little trailer or spend some time assembling. A bigger boat can be anchored much more safely than a one-man craft in rivers but still requires caution over a 25 ft aluminum sled.

If you fish with a few friends then you need a larger raft or pontoon boat. I have seen giant pontoons that let two fish, but most often you just float the river and fish from shore.

You don't need to take out fishermen - just either let them know you are going to pass behind them or if you are joining the head of the pool pull out well upstream and walk down. In some cases you might pass the far bank well out of superman's casting reach but most often you would gently pass behind letting them know what you are doing.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 PM

question

which river do you fish,the west and east branch of the deleware has alot of private land is it legal to pull over and fish from shore without a problem,how is it with a stand up pontoon to fish ,can you get some quick casts as you go from pool to pool,how do the drift boats play around in from pool to pool,i went on trips in bigger rivers than the west branch but was unsure how they manage their drift boats in such a small area,where can i see a pic of a bronco ,thanks chris
Old 02-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hey did you see the aire raft in the for sale section? Three of my pacific northwest friends own them and they are awesome driftboats. Good price and in PA too.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-11-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Hey did you see the aire raft in the for sale section? Three of my pacific northwest friends own them and they are awesome driftboats. Good price and in PA too.
Juro, thanks for the plug.

My raft would make a great 3 person inflatable driftboat. Just add a rowing frame and a set of oars and your done. NRS, Star and Aire all make some nice fishing frames for this raft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.