Wading boots - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 07:39 AM

Wading boots

I've got some flats booties / dive boots that have served me well on the cape but we don't have coral or many pointy critters crawling around. I've got some aqua stealth with studs that are great for rocky shores but not otherwise comfortable to walk in. The dive boots have seen better days and are worn in places from walking in rough sand, so it might be time for an upgrade. I'm thinking about the Simms flats sneakers or the Marlwalkers. I figure either of these would work well on the boat and maybe save me a pair of sneakers this year. Anyone out there with wide feet have either of these? How far up would you size them from what is your normal size shoe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 07:54 AM

You really need to try them on befor you buy them. The sizing is all over the place. You also need to get the pair that fits the best. If you don't have time to try on a few different pairs, you should stick with what you've got and maybe seee if you can get a pair down in the Keys. Another thought: order a bunch of them and try them on @ home, and then return the ones that don't work out.
Also, I think that the old style neoprene flats booties are pretty good too.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 AM

Jim,

I have worn both and if you have wide feet the old-style Marlwalkers are out of the question. They are very narrow and rigid. The new ones might be different.

I like the Simms flats sneakers. They are much wider and don't go halfway up your shin like the Marlwalkers do. Comfortable and very tough...
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have both - the Simms are older and were made narrow; the patagonias are more suited to my foot shape. However the older the simms got the better they fit and they have last a seriously long time. The Marlwalkers fit comfy right out of the box. Neither are sized right for waders but only for wet wading, I think I would have to buy another pair to get my them on wader feet. The new breathable thin material on feet might change that.

I would highly recommend buying a pair or two of synthetic hiking socks with a fine weave to wear inside either shoe to prevent serious blisters and chafing from coral dust and to fill up empty spaces.

Because the socks are constantly wet they do not cause heat but the padding and separation from silt is priceless.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 AM

Another good option for socks are 100% polypro tube socks you can get for cheap at REI. They are like 4 bucks a pair.....
Old 02-10-2006, 12:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I use the Chota flats booties for one simple reason, they're the only flats shoes that come in my size. They've worked very well and are very comfortable.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:34 PM
LBFF Mojo

Hey Jim,

I got the Bite Primal Flats Wading Boots last year and love them. nicely padded sole for walking and work well with or without waders. Another option to try out.

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.