Need a good light weight rain jacket - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 03:46 PM

Need a good light weight rain jacket

Aftr getting soaked while wearing a supposedly waterproof jacket, I'm in the market for a gore-tex rain jacket. I don't want to spend more than $200. What I'm most interested in is a jacket that is light, has a mesh lining, has a hood, and has underarm vents that can be zippered open and closed. Most of the wear will be during warm weather conditions (don't need warmth or wind protection from the jacket). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 04:49 PM

Mesh is not such a great thing. It adds weight and bulk and expense and gets jammed up when you layer up. I don't know that it helps w/breathability. Unfortunately, to dispense with the liner, the waterproof/breathable material is expensive or maybe not as durable. Gore has some really light and durable laminates that are perfect for this. But, add a few zips and your looking at a more expensive jacket. Certainly more than $200.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:43 PM

Adam: I have Cabela's gore tex wading jacket @ $149, dark green with all your desired specs and it has kept me dry for a few years. My previous jacket from them did leak in the hood area and was replaced without question. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

the Simms packlight or the Patagonia rain shadow. neither have a mesh lining but both are under $200 and are proven performers.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Go Climb A Rock

Send a message via AIM to Youngpatawan
Adam,

If your jacket was once water proof the coating may have worn out on it. Does it fee like your clothes underneath are clamy and just slightly wet? Or are they getting compleatly wet? I would check out this stuff called TechWash made my NiKWax Wash the jacket with it and it should bring the life of the jacket back before you decide to spend 200 for a new jacket. That way you know if that jacket has completely failed or it just needed a tune up.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:05 PM

I agree with B.F. I have a Simms I really like. Three days in a monsoon on the Smith River in spring in Montana and it was great! Course I could be prejudice towards a Montana company!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I bought a Patagonia light rainjacket several years ago and haven't looked back since. Phenomenal product, honestly have not had so much reliable performance since I went back to PVC jackets after bad experiences with cheap gore-leak.

Never had leakage with the patagonia jackets yet and haven't worn rubber in years. Over the course of those years the extra investment was worth the trouble-free performance.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 AM

Check out the Patagucci deep wading Jacket. I think they are around $200 and totally bomb-proof. Packs up to the size of a large fly box.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 AM

I am a gucci boy too but the deep wader is a heavy rainjacket compared to the sst stretch FYI. I wear one winter steelheading and the other summer steelheading for example.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngpatawan
Adam,

If your jacket was once water proof the coating may have worn out on it. Does it fee like your clothes underneath are clamy and just slightly wet? Or are they getting compleatly wet? I would check out this stuff called TechWash made my NiKWax Wash the jacket with it and it should bring the life of the jacket back before you decide to spend 200 for a new jacket. That way you know if that jacket has completely failed or it just needed a tune up.
Good idea. My jackey (Pacific Trail, Kapourous matrial that supposed to be water-proof and breathable) is some kind of polyester nylon with underarm zipper vents and a mesh lining, and it is very light and packable. Really love it. It did well in the Amazon down pours, but when I was fishing for northern pike in northern Manitoba, I got thoroughly soaked in 45 degree weather. It was no picnic! The TechWash stuff seems to be worth a trial. Does it work well with the material of my jacket and if it does work, about how long before it will need another treatment? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:40 PM

I don't think you will find anything with pit zips in the price range you are thinking of (with no liner, goretex). I like the Simms Packlight for what you are thinking of.

Last edited by Eddie; 02-11-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 PM

Not Gortex and Not a wading jacket but cheap and good.

EMS Men's Thunderhead Jacket

link replaced
Old 02-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Go Climb A Rock

Send a message via AIM to Youngpatawan
Adam,

I used the tech wash on my jackets like the one you have described. If you want to you can use the techwash and the tech spray if you want to treat better than just using the wash. I have used the wash and the tech spray at the same time and I haven't had to treat the jacket yet and it's been two years. Although is you get the jacket pretty dirty through the season or get alot of fish slim on it then you may want to wash it again in the tech wash. The wash is to get geasy stains out of the jacket or any other substance that can ruin the repellant finish, and does put a coat of water proofness back on the jacket. I would use both to get the jacket back to where it originally was. I know work for EMS and if you want to elaborate alittle more of what you may be looking for let me know and maybe I can help. Or check out one of there stores or online. Hope This Helps.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:48 AM

XCR

Gore tex XCR is the best waterproof material out there. I have worn it getting soaked all day on an alaskan river, and on summit ascents of Mt. Ranier. It simply can't be beat. Find one with waterproof zips to make it even lighter. Arcteryx is the best IMO, but expensive. I like EMS stuff too...

If you are looking for super super light, gore tex pac-lite is the way to go. but this isn't as tough, so it really should be worn only occasionaly, in a pinch. Cabela's makes one that is cheap, but no waterproof zips, so it is a bit bulkier than other brands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.