Tide Charts - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Middle Aged Member

Tide Charts

FYI

Cape tide charts that were hosted on maineharbors are now here:

http://www.boatma.com/tides/tides_capecod.html

Start dreamin and schemeing.
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Nice to have 'em back for the Cape.

Rhode Island is back too. Glad they could find other sponsors.

There nice, easy too read, and find information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 06:09 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Keith has the new link plugged into his website, which is what I usually pull up to get at the tide charts.
Flydoc
Old 02-10-2006, 02:02 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Thanks Fred. I was hoping someone would make them available. They have all the tide, sunriase/sunset and lunar info I need.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:45 AM

Speaking of tides.........this may be an interesting day re South Beach....storm central just said that the seas will reach 17 ft and the winds to 60 mph with this storm...surge to be 2 1/2 ft.......that should breach the k and L areas of SB....permanent or not that is the question?????
Phil (Bonefishmon) and I are planning a crusade to "Fishalot" on the first friday that the weather is condusive to doing the death march to the southway. We will need a mid dayish low tide......can't wait to see the changes and hope that at the end of the day, we have smiles on our faces based on what we saw.
Ron
Old 02-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My guess is that the area just to the north of the southway on the South Beach lobe will eventually breach to the sea. Not sure what year, but if so the southway will open to be an unstable "Eastway" for a while until the next change.

Just a guess based on aerials. There is a lot of water and not a lot of land covering that dry flat north of the southway. This could make the crib a major thoroughfare for fish (and boats unfortunately) and isolate the lower end as a 'south island'.

The entire area would be rejuvenated and the summertime fishery would be constant through July.

Anyone got any dynamite? Just kidding Mike.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-12-2006, 10:37 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
How it was...change is the ONLY constant!

During/After this Nor'Easter, the movement of sand carried down the beach may have done the deed and sealed the deal...
I suspect, given the strong winds, high tides, and monster surf, there have been some noteworthy wash-overs on Nauset and South Beach...
Last year the SB cut was all the buzz but it quickly filled in...
Perhaps, when the dust/snow settles, a recon hike will be in order?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SouthBeachCut.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	5402  
Old 02-12-2006, 11:24 AM
President of CAC

Hey Pete, Yes..I agree... this will really do it!...But even without a storm the Southway will be gone. I have an old map at CAC ..100 years ago... all one long island... the small breaks here and there along that streach will be created and fill in... My money is for a big break about a mile to a half mile down south monomoy from the north... Breaks along South beach fill in because of the "dead" Water in the tub...but no dead water in the sound where a break may be sustaianed....for now.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Pete, Your great photo certainly illustrates how little is left of the southway opening :-( It certainly seems set up for a closing....I agree with Juro that the area north in really "low land".....a break there would be great as where a break in the k and l area would limit where we could annoy fish with flies.
Either way Pete, thanks for the pic.....now I know why my legs get tired ...it's a hike!
Ron
Old 02-12-2006, 01:16 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin
Perhaps, when the dust/snow settles, a recon hike will be in order?!
Weather permitting, I'm on it this coming weekend....will post pics and details....
Flydoc
Old 02-12-2006, 02:13 PM

Most likely just wishful thinking on my part but wouldn't it be nice. The area would form into a series of ridged braids with current with my favorite high humps with the full brunt of the sea twisting it up constantly and creating very exciting angling opportunities sure to lure in the summer resident sand eel eaters into the bright cool shallows right through July.

That darkish low flat would be alive with surging tide activity and be converted into a giant "mecca" albeit it would be short lived before something has to stabilize from it.

That reminds me I wonder if the big girls will be back this year
Old 02-12-2006, 02:45 PM

Hang on to your hats!!!

At 1530hrs the snow has let up for now in Harwich and mostly just blowing around.
Wind has been averaging 40s with some gust up to the 50. WBZs doppler was reporting seas of 19-22ft at the shore line of the outer cape. If you go to the Harwich Harbormasters office webpage and click on sound conditions, you will get the life time conditions of Horseshoe shoal thanks to the wind farm people. You can also check out www.iwindsurf.com for the same info and info on other areas.

I am sure we had plenty of washover on southbeach, but any breaks won't last long due to the constant movement of sand from North to South. That is what closed the wash at the K-L area last year. With the amount of water that was moving threw there last year and the loose consistancy of the sand days after the storm, I thought for sure it would open even more. It will be interesting to compare any aerials after the storm, especially if they are taken near low tide and compared to the photos taken over the last two months.

Count me in for any walking recons

Capt Keith
Old 02-12-2006, 03:15 PM

THe other real question in Chatham inlet? I know that every body is concearned about the south-way, but last I checked (Friday 2/10) the inlet looks like it might be closing in. The south end of naset has turned in toward Chatham. I parked down at the end of HOLWAY st., and it looked like you could throw a baseball to the sand across the way. This was at dead low or close to it. It doesen't look good though. Earlier in the week when it was blowing out, the water is standing sraight up in that channel, because it is so narrow for the deep water channel. It is getting narrower by the day. I know that they won't dredge the south-way due to a non commercial port, but if chatham inlet wants to close there is nothing anyone is going to be able to do about it. the ArmyCor/Engineers won't be able to move a beach. or at least if the beach dosen't want to move. THey were just there last spring. I just figuerd I would metion this just to give a little heads up.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:13 PM

Are you serious? Wow someone take a pic of that please

It was getting narrow but the depth of the channel off the end of Nauset was getting deeper and the half down on the South Beach end was not getting the main flow unlike the previous few yrswhere the bar made the channel follow the southern route.

Since the dredging the water moved fast and hard out to the east as you must know. If the sand has moved west toward Holway that close I can only imagine what that looks like!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
President of CAC

Got Stryper, Won"t that "lock" in Chatham Harbor?...No where to go? What is your thinking on that? looking at the walk from the light house along south beach, I can see this as more probable than possible if the cut closes....no access at all points on the compass.

Last edited by striblue; 02-12-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.