New Zealand- South Island - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 03:09 PM

Location: River Spey, Scotland. River Avon, Scotland. Umzimkulu River, South Africa.
Send a message via MSN to marcusjanssen
Question New Zealand- South Island

I am trying to get in contact with people who have fished New Zealand's streams, rivers or lakes. I am so full of questions, I don't really know where to start!

I want to know, how the South Island, especially the west, (Otago region) compares with the better North Island fishing. I am referring predominantly to wild browns, but am also interested in rainbows. I have read so much about the North Island and Lake Taupo, and a lot about the South Island too, but

Can anyone share any info. If (and I am sure there are plenty) there are people out there who have fished South Island and are kind enough to share their knowledge with me?

Let me know if you can answer questions, and I'll fire away!!!!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Members salmogardnieri and nick have both fished it among the down-under guys (e.g. kiwi-kid, kiwiguy, etc). In case their real jobs have been keeping them off flytalk you might consider dropping them a note.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-08-2006, 05:23 PM

Location: River Spey, Scotland. River Avon, Scotland. Umzimkulu River, South Africa.
Wink Thanks

Thanks Juro
Old 02-08-2006, 07:12 PM

Sage

Marcus,

I have fished NZ once (north Island) but conditions were bad and I never really hooked up - rain had turned the rivers to coffee with cream. Such is life.

MY father however has fished it fairly extensively on both the north and south islands - and would love to talk about it. He is also very good, and enjoys a maniacle level of research so he knows more about it than most I suspect.

I would be glad to to hook you up with him via phone. I will contact him to see if he is Ok with it and fire a PM to you with the name and number.

If you have never been to NZ you are in for a treat - not only is the fishing amazing - it is one of the most beautiful places on earth - I have traveled enough to make that claim.

Happy trails
-Smiles
Old 02-09-2006, 01:21 PM

Smiles, that would be brilliant! Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:10 PM

Have you picked up a copy of this yet?

Trout Fishing: A Guide to New Zealand's South Island by Tony Busch

You can order it on amazon if you can't find it anywhere else.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:20 AM

Griz

I have ordered a copy of the book from Amazon- can't wait for it to arrive. I will let you know what I think of it, Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 AM

Been a very long time for me fishing the South Island. If I remember right rainbows dominated South Island and browns on North Island. Central Otago has the Clutha River that follows the main road. Rainbows are a bit smaller but there was also a salmon run in those days, don't know if it still has one. If you can get out to the west coast try fishing the river outlets for salters. They are big fish and an 8 wt would do the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.