Fly Fishing Forum banner

Benefit Casting Class - Space Available

4K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  FredA 
#1 ·
I would like your help while possibly helping yourself, and at the same time helping Hanna, a 15 year old karate student who was chosen to represent USA at the world competition in Osaka next month.

Unfortunately she has lost her father recently and her mom is unable to finance this trip so we are all doing our best to pitch in to get here there.

I would like to ask the members of the Flyfishing Forum to please help us by enrolling in a casting class with me at a discounted rate 100% of the proceeds will be applied to Hanna's cause. Since my hopes of helping via Seahawks bets were beaten by a pack of zebras I need a plan "B" ;)

I am FFF certified in Two-handed / Spey casting and overhead with applications experience in saltwater, and am also an experienced single-hand casting instructor with emphasis on saltwater applications although I can show you a mean curve cast and have thrown thousands of mends on the rivers of the pacific northwest (no stranger to streams).

I will provide all gear unless you have a set-up you prefer to learn with.

The cost will be $150 for a full day class, maximum four students per class.

Illustrated handouts will accompany the class. Video analysis available.

Optional venues:

1) Single-hand overhead casting
a) introductory (get your wife or kids into it)
b) intermediate (strengthen the double haul, tighten the loop)
c) advanced distance and loop control (how to throw a whole line)

2) River Spey casting
a) introductory (getting started)
b) intermediate (expanding the horizon)
c) advanced tweaking (d-loop refinement, special casts, distance, long belly etc)

2) Beach two-handed
a) introduction, applied, distance (one curriculum)

Please consider helping out if you would, and thank you in advance!

See less See more
#9 ·
Hannah fund

Can't swing a class so I'll make a donation instead. It will be enclosed with the literature I mentioned. Good on you for doing this for Hannah and her Mom. We'll look forward to her in action. Please wish her luck for me. Any press on this in local news i can share with others? There are people at work involved in Karate so maybe I'll pass the hat and take up a collection as well.

Phil

#10 ·
Beach casting is one of my favorite subjects :) Thanks Frank

FrankF said:
Hello Juro:

I am in for a two handed class. I would like to learn to use the Atlantis Surftamer that I recently bought. Preferably beach casting but your river class would be fine also.

Regards,

Frank:) :)

#11 ·
Phil -

I'll PM you some information so you can send your donation to her mom. She is getting some press coverage from the Lowell Sun currently and we expect more in the days to come. I will try to find out details today and will pick one up at a newstand for you if it helps.

bonefishmon said:
Can't swing a class so I'll make a donation instead. It will be enclosed with the literature I mentioned. Good on you for doing this for Hannah and her Mom. We'll look forward to her in action. Please wish her luck for me. Any press on this in local news i can share with others? There are people at work involved in Karate so maybe I'll pass the hat and take up a collection as well.

Phil

#14 ·
Greg -

Thanks brother, we'll break out the whuppin' sticks for this beach casting session and my 3 CCD DV recorder has frame by frame to really put things into perspective. Some new hints on rod deflection and loop form as well. Timely discussion with the striped friends getting ready to do their marathon up the coastline.

(I assume you are interested in the Beach casting venue vs. Spey casting)

#15 ·
I'm In

Juro,

Depending on timing and location I am in for a beach 2-hander class.

It is only appropriate after my thread regarding the 2-handers last weekend! Try before I buy.

If I cannot attend then I would be happy to donate to the cause nonetheless.

Keep me posted,

Mike

#17 ·
Don't send anything just yet; I've just been told that the school is trying to determine whether the financial goal is achievable, the fighting rules safe for her, and whether we can actually raise enough for her mother to attend, whether she can get the time off from work (single income) etc. Those who travel to Japan on business know just how expensive this can be and the travel package is thousands for each. I am waiting for results of this inquiry at the moment.

Regardless of what happens I am deeply inspired and honored by the realization that we can make a difference in a person's life in a win/win/win manner.

As far as timing, once we get the green light the payments would need to be timely for the competition in March, the classes however can be scheduled appropriately, for instance the Spey class should be held when the rivers subside a bit and the weather is pleasant; the beach casting class should have two parts - one on grass and the other on South Beach in May. Afterall the fish handling aspect is an important part of the curriculum :)

stay tuned and once again - THANK YOU

#21 ·
OK - it looks like it's a GO!

I will be talking with the powers that be to get details on timing etc. I am commited to putting together the most kickass classes for this.

Let's all pull together and get it done!

(post with details coming up shortly)

#23 ·
Tomorrow night there is a meeting on this at the dojo so I should have all the info I need by then. You can send the payment directly to Hannas' mother and I will receive notice from them and schedule you accordingly. I will make the dates work for you, there will be several dates published so you can make one of them.

Thanks and please look for details tomorrow night.

#25 ·
Thank you all!!!

After class tonight I met with Sensei and Hanna's mother. It only took a moment to see that our help will be even more important than what we might have thought; our help is going to be absolutely critical to this happening.

For each person who was kind enough to sign up, I will provide the mailing address and contact information for Hanna's mother by private message. Once your tuition has reached her, they will let me know and I will make arrangements to meet you for the class of your choice (per the original post).

I vow that these will be the best prepared, most effective classes I have put together to date in the spirit of Hanna's journey to Osaka. Their appreciation goes beyond words, so let's do right by them with our actions.

I can't tell you how good this makes me feel. Sometimes my mind wanders about thinking about what the FORUM yields for all the work it can involve... but at times like this there is not one iota of doubt what it means... community.

I will send the information within the next 24 hours and again, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.