Alaska Bead Egg Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Favorite Trout Flies Favorite trout patterns

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Kodiak Alaska

Thumbs up Alaska Bead Egg Flies

This topic may of been covered already...
Went down to the local shop to get some FlyFoam and GlowBug Yarn (one of my most dreaded activities...but needed for the post salmon runs), I was surprised at the lack of selection. A quick conversation with the owner reveiled that most people had started going with Beads...oh well, got a small selection of yard and a few packs of beads...came out looking really nice... Checking out the AF&G reggs theese have became so popular that almost a whole page of a 10 page book covering Kodiak and Kenia address the issue!

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 PM

Hey, MJ

Is the local shop Mack's or Cy's? Always have wondered about Cy's but have never been in there.

Always in too much of a hurry to get out to the Pasagshak.

This bead thing is really bugging me. Fished the Karluk once (and once was way more than enough for me), and the big deal there was pegged beads. The Karluk was a huge disappointment to me because I could NOT get the steelhead (with which the river was absolutely stuffed) to hit a swung fly. BUT the pegged bead was effective enough. Jeez, there were steelhead in every depression in that shallow river. I've never seen anything like it.

Wonderful to see all the patterns from the Rock and your bench.

Ever come across the Blue Chicken?

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Kodiak Alaska

It was Macks...
I've never targeted steelhead, but I do catch them on glow bugs and small nympths.

I think it's going to feel kinda weird to tie this one on...not that it's a bad fly but I can imagine the looks of disapointment from the guys back home if I tried it on the South Branch.

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:45 AM

Is that wire holding the bead to the hook? If not, how do you do it?

What exactly is a pegged bead (fly?) and why would it be undesirable?

Last edited by josko; 01-14-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Kodiak Alaska

Yes, it's light silver wire, doubled over. Tag end secured to the hook, passed through bead, wrapped under hook, then around (under bead, over hook), and the tied down and glued.

A pegged bead fly is a bead secured to the leader via a section of toothpick (or other means) and a bare hook tied to the end. It's susposed to keep the mortality of fish down. The fish strikes at the bead and it hooked outside, or in the corner, or the mouth. In Alaska the bead has to be within 2 inches of the hook.

There's nothing wrong with the bead method (or fly's), I've tied around 60 or 70 so far. It's a quick method, about 30 seconds per fly, and keeps me away from glow bug yarn. I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out.

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

Old 02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Kodiak Alaska

Quick update on theese things...had a chance to get out on the river...temps rose to mid 40's!

Had a couple of failures...the wire pulls loose from the hook and allows the bead to go sailing across the river in a final flight of glory...some lasted. I need to make the tag ends of the wire a little longer and possible double them over some thread wrapps. Good thing this was just an exploritory mission and not a actually trip (I didn't hike in 3 miles to get to a "Sweat Spot") or out of spite this little experiment might of been canned all together.

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 AM

Wink

I don't have a lot of experience with these but I did basically what you did only I used some ten pound maxima to loop the bead on the hook. Tie in one end of the maxima, run the bead on, then tie down the other end of the maxima and a drop of super glue. Thus far, the flies are able to handle several fish with out coming apart. Best.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.