Landing your 'Poisson' ! - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 11:58 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Landing your 'Poisson' !

Hi,
K..Winter ( or should I say... * Springter*' is getting long here on the Gaspé.
Ski one day......... then skate the next day!!
Snow - rain - snow rain.!!!

Not to worry, though...still lots of snow up in the mountains and our rivers froze this Fall at 'high water' vs 'low water last Fall.
( will it make a difference??)
I'll be clicking my Canon to let you you when time comes...

Now!! A Quick Question:

When canoe fishing....... do you prefer to play & land your fish while still in the canoe or prefer stepping out and doing it at shore?

(Charlie..........Who's the Dude with the fish on?? Your Bro...??!!! )

A..

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 02-06-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 04:11 AM

Ann
You really must come to Scotland. The Tweed and the Dee opened on the 1st and are both fishing well, a gentleman I was looking after had 3 springers and numerous kelts on Saturday.
The Spey opens on Saturday

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 AM

Ann
Nice Bonnie pics !
Don't know nobody that fights a fish from da canoe,unless you've gotta biggie on that tears off downstream. That being said ,however ,the exception to the rule is the mighty Moisie. Too friggin wide to motor to shore !
BTW the Grandby show thisweekend was superb !! FQSA meeting was INTERESTING Attendance was way up from previous years. Of particular note was the "pecheurs en herbe conference" for younger folk.Room for about 200 in the big conference hall and just about every seat was occupied.Local fly fisherfolk go to grade schools to try and get 10 to 14 yr olds interested in the sport and it appears to be successful !
Cheers
Old 02-06-2006, 01:43 PM

In my former life as a gillie, I used boats a great deal; in fact, the majority of our fish were hooked from a boat. Also, sometimes when a fisherman hooked a fish from the bank he would have to get into the boat to follow a fish downstream - bear in mind that this was a vary fast flowing river, with difficult banks and rapids between each pool, and at the time I believe we had the highest average weight of salmon of any river in the world.

IMO it's far preferable to get the fisherman out of the boat and onto the bank as soon as the fish begins to tire. He should then move a little way away from the boat to a place chosen by the gillie which offers a suitable landing point. Remaining in the boat once it is beached means the fisherman is far less able to move around in the closing stages of the fight. There is also a danger that the fish will go under the boat, with obvious risks. Also if the fisherman remains in the boat (and hence, in effect, on water), it means the gillie has to go further into the river. Your third picture illustrates this clearly; on that pool there is a nice gently sloping gravel beach, so it's not too much of a problem, but imagine that same situation on a steep bank, where the gillie might not be able to get into the water at all. Much better to have the fisher at least 10'-15' back from the water's edge, thus allowing space in front of him.

Sometimes you might find yourself fishing with an elderly or less mobile fisherman, in which case it may be necessary for him to stay in the boat. But wherever possible I would get them out of the boat and back onto dry land.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardener
Sometimes you might find yourself fishing with an elderly or less mobile fisherman, in which case it may be necessary for him to stay in the boat. But wherever possible I would get them out of the boat and back onto dry land.
Hey Charlie I guess you should have stayed in the boat.

Ramsay
Old 02-07-2006, 02:59 PM

Ramsay,

I think your confusing old with ugly in my case.

Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.