Made in the USA? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 AM

Made in the USA?

So we have been hearing about what a great value the offshore brands (Echo, TFO, Beulah, Albright et. all). I have cast and fished with many of them, and I am impressed. But I have not fished with the lower priced Sage, T&T, and Scott rods. How do their $220 rods compare to the Asian competition? Apples to apples. Same # of sections and priced...say within 15 bucks.
Has anyone cast and fished with the less expensive made in the USA rods. Are St.Croix still made here?
Powell should definitely figure into this discussion.
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 AM

My St. Croix Imperial ( no longer made ) and my Tioga reel are both U.S. products. The price on both was reasonable taking into acount the exchange on the Canadian dollar.

Both rod and reel are rock solid dependable and both are covered by a lifetime warranty. The St. Croix has a medium action that suits me perfectly.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 09:40 AM

I have fished the Powell rods quite a bit, especially the TiMax which is around the same price as the TFO TiCr-X. The hardware quality is better than the TFO in my opinion particularly the cork and reel seat. I put a 7wt TiMax through 10 days of bonefishing and it handled it admirably. BTW - the action of those 2 rods are completely different but that is a whole different discussion.

I have cast the Sage FLI and while I liked the action of the rod the hardware was lacking. I have a scott SAS which is a great casting rod for the money but I think it has been discontinued....
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
St Croix rods are all still made the in USA last I knew...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:10 AM

For 2006, St. Croix has a new model which replaces the Imperial. It is made off shore. You can check it out on their website.

Regards
Old 01-31-2006, 12:45 PM

too bad, scratch st.croix form the domestic side of the discussion.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
thread killer

St Croix

St croix still offers the 'Avid' line up. first of three series of U.S. rods. its VERY similar in price to TFO's TiCr series.

i thought all scott rods are U.S. origin?

does Sage use a domestic blank on the FLi and launch series or do they out source them? makes you wonder........... redingtons in disguise?

Last edited by shotgunner; 01-31-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

all Scott rods are made in Colorado. i would put any of their rod series' against a comparable priced offshore rod. their quality is exceptional in even the V2 their cheapest line with rods starting at $165 for two piece and going up to $195 for a heavy four piece. as far as i know all Sage's are still made here as well. i am not familiar with the new lines but i certainly wouldn't leave them out of the pile to try. both have unconditional warranties. the T&T XL4's while not being cheap are made in usa and are of extremely high quality. i fished one on the delaware river last summer and would never have thought for a moment it was a lesser line. anyone who knows the delaware knows what kind of casting i'm talking about too. i guess the point is there are great US made rods out there, but the truly cheap offshore rods seem to get all the attention.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 PM

There are inexpensive rods made in the US. You never hear about them. Weird.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Personally it does not matter to me where something is made providing it gives me the performance, joy of ownership, durability and lastly price I can afford. I will stretch the affordability range to get what I want more often than compromise to save money, but everyone buys differently.

Ford F-series trucks are made in Canada and Honda cars are made in Ohio. Fly rod taper designs usually originate in different hands than those wrapping carbon fiber on mandrels.

As long as affordable gear is getting more anglers interested in fly-fishing in the US then I think global competition is a good thing. If you're old enough to sign up on this site then you were around when the price of fly gear was a huge barrier to entry.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 PM
loco alto!

I like the idea of using tackle made in a place where that tackle actually gets used. I've always felt Winston made great trout rods, Sage made great steelhead rods, T&T made fine (bamboo-like) rods, Abel and Pate/Tibor at the tops of saltwater games, Loop/Danielsson for fine modern anadromous reels, Hardy for traditional trout and anadromous reels, etc. All cases where real anglers had ideas for superior products, and came up with home-grown solutions. This doesn't imply they're superior to all others, but there is something satisfying and special for me about sporting tackle originating from a place or region with a long tradition in sporting endeavors.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Kodiak Alaska

Used 2 St. Croix Imperials for 3 years in Kodiak, an 8 and 9 wt. Worked great, handled the salmon with ease, both in fresh and salt water. Used the 9 wt for a couple of years on La Red Fish, did just fine.
Before purchasing I called the factory to talk toa rep, great experiance, I asked about the rod and he asked about fishing in Alaska...conversation went on for about 45 minutes!
St. Croix's are great rods (IMHO).
Later
Matt

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 AM

I am not trying to take anything away from the import rods, just wondering how the Sage and Scott and T&T $200 something rods stack up to the $200 something TFO, Albright etc. rods.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
rankinstein

made in the U.S.A.

Hello all been reading this post over a few times been biting my tongue but here goes!! I live in Canada and know people who make these Ford trucks don't forget that Ford is American owned and Honda Japanese owned but made here in North America.In this country and in the U.S. there is a thing called quality control and a long history of experience I seriously doubt if it is that stringent offshore nor is the experience of rod making since it hasn't been that long since these rod companies have started out sourcing.I posted before on this subject and have been cautioned because I never took into account that good gear is also made in Sweden( Loop Danielsson)England (Hardy J.W. Young some Orvis),Canada (Islander).I guess the point I am trying to make is manufacturing is on a steady decline in North America where is it going ???(Offshore)You have to pay for quality.The jobs should stay in North America .If this continues maybe we should all go and buy our gear at Wal Mart then we could all have that skanky plastic smell every time you open up your rod tube. Sage makes some very good lower end products buy those, shop around take into account that every time you buy a North American product the money goes into your economy not someone else's.I work in the auto industry in Windsor Ont. and every day see more market share sliding away.I don't wish to cause a **** storm or stir up trouble that comes easy enough,i just feel that you should buy North American first.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:05 AM

at the risk of getting into a political debate, i'm from the captialist,supply/demand school of thought. if a product or industry is not competitive in either price or quality it deseves its fait. such is the case of the north american auto industry. the products are crap and overpriced. the imports are better and cheaper and have been for a long time. change or become extinct. fly rods are a diiferent story in my view. while generally the imports are good for the money, they do not compare with the domestic high end rods, except those imports that are high end in both price and quality.they may be hyped to the eye balls but in actuality they are "value" rods, not great rods. in my view, the orvis, sage ,t&t and of course st croix lower end rods are as good if not better than the tfo's and others, and comparably priced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.