Echo vs. TFO - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Jberger41

Echo vs. TFO

Hello,
I am a beginner fly fisherman. Last year I purchased a cheap BPS Hobbs Creek outfit for $96 to see if fly fishing was something that I would enjoy. It didn't take me long to figure out that I did enjoy it very much. The rod that I bought was a 8'6" 5wt for trout in MO lakes and streams. I am now in the market for a 3 and a 7 weight to help round out my collection. I would like to get something significantly higher quality than my BPS 5wt but could use a little guidance, and at 23 years old, I don't have that much of a budget. So far, after doing some research, I have narrowed my choices to the Temple Fork Pro series and the Echo classic. I like the reputation of TFO but have also heard good things about Echo rods. Does anyone have any suggestions or anything that I should know about either company? I know they both have a lifetime warranty which is huge for me since I won't be able to afford another rod anytime soon. Any suggestions on other rods I should consider would of course be welcome.
Also, I will be in Alaska this May and hope to do quite a bit of fishing while I am there. Will my future 7wt be enough to handle that trip? The 3wt I am looking at would be just for playing with panfish. Is a 3 the appropriate choice? Any input would be helpful. Thank you very much!!!

P.S Has anyone ever used an Albright Rod? They are in my price range but I haven't read anything about them.

Last edited by jberger41; 01-25-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Pencil me in.....

Jon, I tried the TFO Teeny Series at a recent show in 7 wt. It casts very, very well. I believe that they may be in your price range. Check their site.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:49 PM

I recently bought a TFO 3 wt. I got the series 1 (2 piece) and I'm quite happy with it. I was also looking at the echo (more expensive) and the salesman tried to talk me out of it, because it's a 4 piece. After tesing both I liked the cheaper one better, the lower end 4 piece rods don't have as good ferrels, so it felt more like a willow branch. I went in looking for a four piece but in my price range I didn't want to sacrifice too much performance. I am quite happy with the performance of the TFO for the price, I'm now considering getting a new 5 wt.

good luck
Old 01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Jberger41

Echo/TFO

Thanks guys, every bit of info I can get helps! Anyone ever used of heard anything about the Albright GPs? From the lack of pub I assume they are not in the same class as TFO and Echo.

Last edited by jberger41; 01-26-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger41
Thanks guys, every bit of info I can get helps! Anyone ever used of heard anything about the Albright GPs? From the lack of pub I assume they are not in the same class as TFO and Echo.
Albright doesn't market their rods a lot, but they're excellent casting rods IMHO. I have one of their EXS rods and it casts like a dream.

You should also look at St Croix rods. They have models in your price range and they're one of the best values out there.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:49 PM

TFO, Echo, Albright

Don't let the publicity or lack of it influence your decision!! Publicity has nothing whatsoever to do with how the rods cast. Just because Lefty is paid to market TFO rods or some other big name is paid to advertise some other brand means nothing.

The new Echo 2 rods are simply outstanding. The few Albrights and TFO's I've cast have been very good too. Cast them yourself, don't rely on the ads! This is definitely not rocket science - there are many new, terrific low priced rods and virtually all come from the same few plants in China and Korea. You can't distinguish them from each other by the ads!!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 AM

the ads might be the only way to distinguish many of them
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Jberger41

Thanks to everyone for all the input, each bit is very helpful for a beginner. I will be going to a local fly shop soon to test the TFO and Albright, I have not yet found a local shop that has the Echo. I am looking for this rod to use on an upcoming trip to Alaska for steelhead and king salmon. I was also hoping to use it for largemouth back home. Would an 8 wt. be appropriate for both of these situations or should I go for a 7 or 9?

Last edited by jberger41; 02-01-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.