Help with fouling fly - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 10:04 AM

Question Help with fouling fly

All,

I am a beginner fly fisher / tier, and am having problems with my flies becoming fouled. I have been tying Clousers with Supreme Hair from Bass Pro Shops, some flashabou, and lead eyes. The Supreme Hair gets wraped around my leader after only a few casts, while the store-bought flies I use do not (the are made primarily of bucktail). Do I need to prepare the material or something for it to work correctly?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 12:24 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Sounds more like a casting problem, not a tying problem, if I understand you correctly. If the material is in fact wrapping itself around your leader, it would appear that a tailing loop is occurring. Try opening up your loop, or pushing down with your thumb on your casting arm at the end of the forward stroke. It could happen on your rear stroke, but normally it is on your forward stroke.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If supreme hair is what I think it is, it's prone to tangle. Some folks use epoxy or other glue to create a head.

I use stiffer synthetics and tie in a particular manner and get little fouling, almost always due to fish excessively mouthing the fly which i am ok with

Use the more robust fibers - ultra hair, super hair not unique hair or other thinner materials unless you are making a short fly with a glue head in which case it doesn't matter.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 PM

DJ. Jiro is right about using epoxy to stiffen up the hair, it is probably the flashabou that is foul the hair on your flies. Iíve found flashabou tends to foul more when wet, than other flash materials tied in a clouser or bend back style fly, it works better on a deceiver or surf candy, where the bend in the hook is away from hair and flash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.