Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cape Trip Today- Southway almost closed

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 · (Edited)
I drove down the Cape today to check on my cottage.... stopped by to see Mike Brady at the refuge... He tells me the Southway is NOW basically closed. This will have a drastic effect on Outermost, but not that bad, and he tells me that Keith has some new plans which I will let Keith speak about when he is ready to do so. Mike explained that even at high tide his boat drew only less than two feet and could not proceed.... this will efect the crib and increase the flats at the north end of North Monomy because of the west to east current... the major forces coming down from the current north is continuing to join south beach with south monomy.... as expected in the 125-175 year cycle..... also spoke with John Molander, an old local friend whom I have fished with and he does some diving for the Wild life service who readily confirmed this as well as major changes to the south end of North beach at the cut. A major storm might eventually open a cut at the thin land you see on the map on south monomoy about a mile or so from the north tip.... but we don't know now for sure. More later...John...........PS. According to Mike the town nor anyone else, Feds or State WILL dredge. They Know it will be unproductive and a waste of money.....Duh!...Mother nature wins again as it should be... the commercial fishing fleet, as small as it maybe has the cut as it always has had.....

#4 ·
My educated guess is that this will cause even better spring and fall fisheries on the refuge with a decline of mid-summer action in the usual places, which will absolutely call for a change in the drop-off locations to match the situations.

I think provided we have a normal water temp year (unlike last years arctic chill) Pleasant Bay will have an exceptional year. Each year I pray for a Big Girl like the Big Girl I discovered years ago... If I could have only one place to fish for life it would be Chatham inlet (from Nauset to Chatham to Mecca to Big Girl) because it changes so rapidly that I get to rediscover it again and again and...

#5 ·
John. Thanks for the update. It's nice to see these changes, or chance of changes in my imagination. I guess we'll see what happens. The idea of things opening up into the tub is eciting.

Hey Juro! I'll drink to that!:wink: Big Girl is where I found the love I have for fly fishing and it's the place where I first met these other wonderful people I call my friends. It would be Great!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.