Contoocook - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 08:36 AM

Contoocook

Anyone have any experience on the Contoocook in the Peterborough,NH area? Productive areas, flies, etc?

Thanks
-smiles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It's been a very long time for me (too long) but I have fished it and it was very productive. Recent reports from fishing buddies as recent as 2005 would indicate that it's still pretty awesome. If you wish drop me a PM and I will send a note to one particular angler who may steer you right.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-11-2006, 07:28 PM

this is my first post here...

i am heading up to that neck of the woods in a few weeks. my folks are moving from boston to hancock, and i am going to visit them for a few weeks (i live in buffalo ny right now). so here's my question... what are some of the good trout rivers/streams/creeks to wet a line there in southern nh?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:53 PM

There are many trout streams in the Hancock area. The Contoocook river being one. Be prepared for slow fishing the water temprature is in the mid seventies now & the fishing is off for brookies & rainbows. Some browns may be lurking about. Tail water fisheries are a good bet like the Conecticut river in Northern NH. Although Bass fishing in the Lower Connecticut river or the Merrimack might be good now. I have not been out in a few weeks. There are plenty of ponds in the area.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Further to the north and northwest I've enjoyed great mid-summer trout fishing in the Swift and Sugar rivers, also the upper Ammonusuc nearing the Vermont border around (I think) Littleton, Lisbon to Lancaster. I can't recall all of the river names but many were chock full of little native brookies and quite cold under the canopy of the forest. Timber roads were a great way to access them.

Small rivers flowing into the Ct river near Walpole, etc are good year-round trout producers. The headwaters of the Nissitissit also holds trout through the summer.

I would imagine that the tailwaters on the Pemi at Bristol would provide good action now too, large river fishing. Some big brood salmon and smallmouth in there too.

Upper reaches of the Souhegan hold fish thru summer months and I once caught a very nice brown below the Merrimac dam rapids in July.

There is a FF/C&R pond near the old man of the mountain (who fell), best off a boat and in the off hours.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-12-2006, 06:26 PM

thanks a bunch for the info! i can't wait to try the fishing up in nh. stinks about the man in the mountain... at least nh still has it on their quarter. i'm glad i was able to see it before it fell.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:17 AM

ChaCha,
I don't know when your heading to Hancock but Juro Mentioned the Sugar River.
I was at the fly shop yesterday speaking with the fellas. They said the Sugar river fly fishing section in Newport was fishing well. We have had our fair shair of rain here & the water levels have been high since May. Many of the lakes have been letting out water to maintain the lake levels. Keeping the river flows higher than normal summer flows, as a result keeping things cooler.

The Sugar River is fed buy Lake Sunapee and the lake is full full
Newport is 50-60 mins from Hancock. Send me an email or PM when you get close to leaving & I will see what I can find out from the locals. I have not been fishing much this year myself. I am working on my house

A few other places worth checking out are the Mascoma river in Enfield-Lebanon NH & the upeer sections of the Pemigewasett above Bristol. Like I said I'll ask around

w_jones@conknet.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.