Consistent Rivers in PNW - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 06:51 PM

Consistent Rivers in PNW

Hi

I would like to think of some trips to the PNW but i'm at the stage were I still do want to catch fish every day I'm on the trip. It might take a few years to get over that buts its a fact for me right now.

So given that desire what are some of the rivers to go to? Although not quite a coastal state I've heard that the Clearwater in Idaho might be a good place to consider.

Can anyone comment on the Clearwater or other places I might be happy with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 12:53 AM

I'm assuming that you are not aiming to target steelhead, where there in consistency in the lack of consistency. For trout, you are probably better off in Idaho or Oregon than Washington as there are more fertile streams with higher fish densities.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:48 AM

Steelhead

The big trout - Steelhead only
Old 01-27-2006, 06:59 AM

Skip, just based upon the ongoing size of the fish runs I'd suggest you look at the Rogue River here in Southern Oregon (as a start point). Approx. 10 months of the year there is a run of Salmon or Steelhead going on at one end of the river or the other.

As an example, on the upper end (where I'm at) we're still fishing for Summer run steelhead; on the bottom end of the river (152'ish miles long from mouth to Warm Springs dam) the target fish is winter steelhead. The winter fish actually won't show up 'here' until mid- Feb through April.

As the winter runs are winding down on the upper river the spring king run is kicking into gear on the lower river.

Using Medford, Oregon as a 'start point,' within a two hour drive you've got something like 6 or 7 major river systems. Add another hour and you're up to 10 or 12 that have runs of salmon, steelhead and/or trout fishing access at some point(s) of the year.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish_coun...ish_count.html

The link above is the (only) fish counting station on the upper Roge at Gold Rae dam just north of Medford. Fish through the counter are entering just the top 30 miles of river. As such, any runs heading for the Applegate, Illinois, etc., and etc., don't show up in the above.

The same site also has the counts for the North Umpqua (2 hours north up I-5 from Medford) which may be of interest.
Fred
Old 01-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Skip, define what you are looking for a little more, what time of year is a big one. Do you want to fish big water / small water, dry/skater/sunken fly. That will give people a little more info.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:25 PM

looking for

Big or medium sized water, like sunk fly, skagit casting, anytime of year as long as its not colder than -3c
Old 01-28-2006, 02:34 PM
LBFF Mojo

Are you planning on being guided? As a first timer on those waters it will be tough to get fish without knowing the rivers. By yourself a fish in a week would be a good bet.

-sean
Old 01-28-2006, 06:02 PM

Want to catch steelhead? Hire Dennis Dickson <link edited>

Set up a trip on the Olympic penninsula. You'll catch fish. If there is one person I could pick to put you into a one-on-one battle with a big pissed off steelhead, he is the man.

Although with steelheading, you should never look for somewhere that you will catch fish every day. You will end up dissappointed. I have been skunked many times on the best rivers here in the northwest in the prime time of the year fishing side-by-side with some of the best steelhead fly fishermen I know while watching steelhead roll all around us!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Just a reminder... please do not promote non-sponsors with a direct link as you agreed to this when you registered.

thanks
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-28-2006, 11:02 PM

skip_scaratch:

I think the message is getting through. If you're new to PNW and really want to hook a steelhead in the shortest possible time, hire a guide. Fish with him/her a day or two, and you'll know enough to stumble around on your own.

If I had never fished for steelhead and wanted the best quality experience I could buy, I'd book a trip for a week on the Dean.

Beyond that, there a few other things you need to tell us: do you intend to drive and walk in to your fishing; or do want to drift a river, far from roads, camp out and do battle in wilderness isolation? Both opportunities abound.

To ensure the best chance for a steelhead-period (never mind race or time) plan to come in the very late summer-fall. The Clearwater will fish best then, Fred Evans' Rogue is well stocked with fish, and the BC streams are alive.

Keep firing the parameters at us, and we will try to point you in the best direction.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 AM

From talking to guides who work the Great Lakes, there is such a thing as consistency, where some will refund a trip if fish are not hooked during certain times of the year. I don't think any fly guide will offer that in the PNW.

On second thought, terminal fisheries such as the Cowlitz at Blue Creek are probably the closest thing to offering some degree of consistency. If you want numbers, then those might be the places to target but the experience would be less than what I personally would aim for.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:42 PM

First no thread highjacking intended here (sorry Skip) but Chris mentioned Blue Creek on the Cow. Haven't been there since the early 1980's ... a lot of folks there then (even with unbeliveably bad access). Now?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Just a reminder... please do not promote non-sponsors with a direct link as you agreed to this when you registered.

thanks
I am not promoting anybody. I am not affiliated with Dennis in any way.

If I post a request for some suggestions on good fly hooks to use, and somebody posted a website, would you edit that too? Isn't this forum about helping people? Or is it about making you money? I am not sure, so please tell me so I know in the future.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans
First no thread highjacking intended here (sorry Skip) but Chris mentioned Blue Creek on the Cow. Haven't been there since the early 1980's ... a lot of folks there then (even with unbeliveably bad access). Now?
Yes, Blue Creek is often talked of in the same context as Reiter ponds (lots of people) but there is more room to spread out. Perhaps because of that, a fair number of fly guys hit it.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadKid
If I post a request for some suggestions on good fly hooks to use, and somebody posted a website, would you edit that too? Isn't this forum about helping people? Or is it about making you money? I am not sure, so please tell me so I know in the future.
This is standard practice across many forums, especially if you look at their user agreements. No one sets up a forum or moderates one for the money as sponsor's links are there to pay the bills for hosting and development. As you might guess, forums such as this don't come for free.

People who set up these forums are passionate about their topic of interest and it is indeed a privilege to join in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.