Restaurants Unlimited/Wild Steelhead Coalition - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 12:27 PM

Restaurants Unlimited/Wild Steelhead Coalition

Last year, as many of you might remember, Restaurants Unlimited (owners of Cutters, Palisades, Palamino et al.) served "Wild Hoh River Steelhead" on their menus. The Wild Steelhead Coalition sent them a letter protesting their actions. It was obviously too late (it was already on the menus).

This year, the WSC sent a pre-emptive letter. We reminded them of the issues regarding Hoh river and other wild steelhead stocks in Washington. They have agreed and will not purchase wild steelhead from the Hoh and their distributors.

We have just heard that Red Apple Markets may be selling wild steelhead in their stores (keep in mind that may it may be an advertising/labeling gimmick). If any of you are near a Red Apple could you please drop in and ask a few questions. I believe there is one in Sultan and maybe Gold Bar.

Thanks,
Leland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 05:57 PM

I will check the out on Beacon Hill.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:00 PM

oc, are you in beacon hill as in boston? neal
Old 01-25-2006, 07:17 PM

Neal,

No we have a Beacon Hill in Seattle too. Sort of the same but yet not the same. Nice place to live though and the view of Lake Washington and the entire Cascades Mts is worth a first rate porch to check it all by. Come visit again.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:03 PM

Checked Red Apple today,(SUNDAY) and no steelhead of anykind. They did have a fresh wild Talapia though.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:34 AM

Albertson's in Oregon had 'wild steelhead' for sale about 3'ish years ago. Pointed out (copy of fish and game regulations in hand) to the local store manager that doing so (regardless of point of access) was a MAJOR no-no.

Fellow borrowed (or rather I gave it over) my game book and said 'thank you.' Next day .. not a sign noting any fish as being 'wild steelhead' to be seen. I checked three area stores and not in one.

None since, and farmed Atlantic Salmon are clearly marked as 'color added.'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.