No FF Content: Musicians Out There? Vocation or Avocation - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 09:06 PM

No FF Content: Musicians Out There? Vocation or Avocation

Hey,

I was wondering how many of us take solace in making music. I know Juro twangs away on something, and I beat the hell out of an old reed organ I have here (learning a bunch of Couperin and Daquin stuff), plus tootle away on a recorder to the great consternation of various accomodating consorts. Methinks flyfishing and making music are a common thread and just wanted to find out if this were so.

If you enjoy playing an instrument or singing, I'd like to hear about it, if only to support my theory.

Please chime in and we'll note it.

I promise not to initiate another thread on whether fly anglers are inveterate punsters.

Cheers,

B Flat in Waldport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I agree Eric - flyfishing goes well with music for sure. There is always a guitar or two in play at any good sized gathering whether it be Paul Miller at GGACC or us plucking away at Boneclave where my accoustic guitar was passed around like well no need for profanity here, but many clavers squeezed a tune out of her and many left the campsite with the conviction to learn something to play at the next Boneclave.

Then there are the bagpipes that have been a recurring theme at Spey events, and there's something I always liked about a lonely harmonica at a campfire by the stream at night.

I think it's got something to do with the anticipation of the next day's fishing combined with the heart's susceptibility to anything evoking any emotion when away from sweethearts and adoring families. Something about some tunes during the off hours that just kind of fits, and I guess the 'spirits' help a little too.

BigDave is quite a guitar enthusiast, in fact his playing and the reunions of my old teenager buddies' bands has motivated me to get back into it. Glad they did. Adrian has clearly studied guitar playing as I witnessed recently at our Chatham hangout, he even plays multiple strings without a pick!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Pullin' Thread

Eric,

Not only did I make my through solely playing music from January 1976-August 1978, I have a BS in Music Ed from Penn State '75. However, I got very tired of not having a dating life because the women would get angry after about a month of me not being able to go out any night but Monday because I was playing a gig somewhere, so I quit playing and sold my bass, amp, and mic.

I sold my stuff because I know if I get another bass, I will not be satisfied just playing for fun or the occassional weekend gig, I will want to go at it full-time again and that wouldn't be fair to my wife and kids.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:12 PM

I do my practicing after family time has ended - sometimes into the wee hours unfortunately. This is somewhat limiting, but I don't compromise work, family time or even my work out schedule for it.

I picked up a neat PC studio for guitar by Native Instruments called "guitar rig II" on eBay and it let's me record multi-track to MP3, burn to CD, etc. So I can listen to stuff I played while driving to work the next day and try to pick out things to improve.

What I noticed the other day was that the timestamps on most of these files is between 2-3am!

Obviously I can't do that every night. It doesn't amount to a whole heck of a lot of playing time but I should be able to pick up a song or two between claves and I hope others do the same so we can enjoy this element of the outdoor experience.

Maybe we can get a Forum benefit CD for sale. Might be fun.

STEP FORWARD ALL YOU CLOSET MUSICIANS!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
I picked up a neat PC studio for guitar by Native Instruments called "guitar rig II" on eBay and it let's me record multi-track to MP3, burn to CD, etc.
Juro-

My brother (a self-taught electric guitar player) has the same toy and loves it for the same reasons.

I don't have anything to contriubute musically to a CD....I'd have trouble playing the triangle. But I do have about ten years of DJ/production experience, so I can always lend a hand there. And I've always wanted a real life opportunity to say.....

"The prescription is more cow bell!!!"
Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 PM

Practice Time Practice Time:

I'm a lousy musician, not even worthy of disrepect. Can't keep time. Make mistakes. The orginal frog in a blender. Nevertheless: one hour per day on the harmonium. one hour a day on the tenor recorder. My wife is an opera singer. I wait until she's either sound asleep or out of the house.

It's in the blood, even if it's not in the genes.

cheers,

Atonal in Waldport
Old 01-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Flats Rat

Sadly it's very much a case of the spirit being willing but the flesh being weak at the moment Last year I went out and made an extravagant "investment" in a new accoustic that isn't getting nearly enough attention.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:00 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I also think there is at least some connection between flyfisherman and musicians.
I myself play the guitar. Now that I think of it isn't Skip Morris a fairly well established classical guitarist as well?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 PM

Eric,

I'm like you, I just can't keep time and as much as I love music I can't tell the difference from one note to another. My wife is a well known mbira player and she has got me playing around with it. It is such a strange and haunting sound. An instrument to bring back the dead. Every three months we have 20 or 30 folks come from around the world, many from Africa to play the mbira. On the last night they jam till the sun comes up and some pretty strange stuff starts moving around this old house.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 PM

Here is a one minute sample of the song I am currently writing...

Orig. clip made with new strat
About 1mb, not for dial-up users - skips the first time I play it?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:39 PM
chromedome

Used to play clarinet in dixieland bands.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:44 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Thumbs up

juro- cool song man
It's almost vaguely reminescent of Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Lenny"

Sweet playing dude!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Songs are a lot like fly patterns... they allow you to be expressive, and although they are typically extensions and interpretations of existing patterns they give you an outlet for your own personal touch.

This is one that kind of reminds me of heading out at first light...

Another one to get the cats in the neighborhood goin'
About 650k, not recommended for dial-up users (this one skips the first time downloaded too
Old 01-26-2006, 10:44 PM

Great pieces, Juro. good job. Is the "Cats" piece one of your multi-track recordings?

Didn't experience any skips on first download. Played fine; sounded cool.

--Eric
Old 01-27-2006, 12:28 AM
loco alto!

Here are a few seconds of one track and another from a crazy camel ride I enjoyed ca. 1987-1993. I still can't read a lick of music, and it shows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.