Marlboro Fly Show - REPORT - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Marlboro Fly Show - REPORT

I had an awesome time at that show!

The Quebec Sporting booth was abuzz with activity the whole day. Perhaps it was the mysterious and charming Ann, or Brian Slavinksi's presentation salmon fly tying, or Charlie's friendly and knowledgeable demeanor, not to mention the incredible pictures of the pristine Gaspe' region and it's salmon. I know many of you have been there, and you already know this but the Gaspe' is heaven on earth with big salmon in the crystal clear flows. Super Mario lit the place up toward the end of the day, salmon fishing stories too wild to be made up (we know they were all true).

At 11am I attended the FFF Certified Instructor's Seminar given by Macauley Lord and Dennis Grant and attended by FFF President R. P. "Van" VanGytenbeek. KUDOS to Rod McGarry for a stellar job organizing the meeting. I was duly impressed by Mac's articulate and precise understanding of casting, Dennis Grant wowed the group by his casting instruction and people skills by reciting every person's name in the room having only just met the majority during his presentation, and Van gave us the sense that we are all part of something really BIG with the FFF certification program, and indeed we are. Topher Brown who recently achieved his Master Certification was also participating in the CI tests that were given at Marlboro. Special wishes to Floyd for a speedy recovery.

On the floor I think Trevor Bross could tell I fell in love with the T&T H2 travel rod, I haven't felt that kind of smoothness and power in one package in a while. I usually play the field a lot by casting many rods but I found myself standing in line with that rod a lot. Also impressed with the TFO series talk about bang for the buck with a capital B on both counts! I talked to a lot of folks about the situations where two-handed rods excel, where the limitations are as well as the profound advantages, at the TFO booth.

Rajeff seems to have come up with something very interesting in his new two-hander which comes with different tips to change the rod power depending on the tip selected. He wasn't there in person but I will be following up with our sponsor on that.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 11:19 AM

Bears Den had a great booth with Joe Cordeiro entertaining at the vise. Good to see Scott Wessels, with all the roadway troubles around Taunton this year they seemed to survive OK, really looking forward to the Bears Den show coming up!

Capt. Ray Stachelek was twisting up some magic at the vise with a good crowd going, Dave Skok had some typically very creative stuff including that wild new eel fly that I think is going to get me my next 30 pounder off Nauset in 2006. I enjoyed Mark Sedotti's presentation which never ceases to amaze, and George Roberts solid fundamentals, Cathy Beck's clarity in the points she makes.

It was great hanging out with Alan Caolo who by the way is an amazing photographer on top of the obvious 'doctor of sight fishing' skills. I have to say that fishing on Monomoy with him was the highlight of that entire year. He and I talked about some cool stuff - stay tuned. Ed Mitchell is the 'real deal' and it's always great to see him at these shows. His book is best in class for sure.

I had to tell Lou Tabory at the Albright booth that I've had his book on my desk bookshelf for years now and if you added up all the minutes that the cover picture stopped me in my tracks and made me stare at that giant striper it would add up to hours. He told me the story of that fish and other 40+ pound stripers he caught on a fly, from the beach that will assure that I will now get even less work done at my desk!

Fantastic time indeed, great seeing everybody and the group dinner was superb. A great ending to a great day!

John Morin - hope everything is ok, we missed you brother!
Old 01-22-2006, 07:53 PM

Nice repot J-man - great to see you there!

I was sorry to not see the booth or the usual & freindly faces from the board.

NESFR was there recruiting and had a slow Friday, busy Saturday and slow Sunday...

If you attend the Wilmington show, please stop by the booth and say Hi - I promise to not put on the sales pitch
Old 01-23-2006, 07:48 AM

Great seeing you guys again as well - and NICE booth! No impression of a sales pitch, I know what a great bunch of guys you have in NESFR.

The show was fun for people of all ages!

And finally Mr.Photogenic himself and a good friend of the Forum Capt. Art Sawayer

Old 01-23-2006, 08:51 AM

That was fun! Loved meeting some of the great guys on the forum. Flydoc, Fishhawk, JfBasser, Shadfreak, GregD, and tomd are all a fantastic bunch of guys. They got me all worked up to go Striper fishing this year. Itís been far to many years since Iíve done it.

It was great seeing other friends at the show to. Scott from the Bears Den, Karen from Saumon Quebec, Don Bastian, Roger Plourde, Paul Rossman, Mario, Phill, Topher, and of course Juro.

Next week Ė Jersey. See you all at the show!

Charlie.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 AM

Where's the Tux?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Old 01-23-2006, 11:16 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-RiviŤre
Great meeting you all!! Thanks for stopping by!!
Dinner was excellent!!

Now in Buffalo and I found a Tim Horton's!!!

See you in Somerset this weekend!

Ann
Old 01-24-2006, 11:32 AM

Hope you all enjoyed the Marlbrough Fly Fishing Show last weekend.

Everyone has a different flavor/comment about the show. It was a positive experience for me seeing and sharing our ideas with friends. Want to thank everyone for stopping by and taking an interest. It was warm and fuzzy!

Seeing everyone at dinner for a bit was great. Nice to see everyone get together during the off season months.

Luv the pic.... Juro...... good publicity. The hits on site have to increase.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:10 PM

Talking

BON - now I gotta clean the screen!

points for the hotty

Im gonna post that in our next meeting...TFF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.