Fly Fishing Forum banner

Building a drift boat

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
I am contemplating building a drift boat, and I'm looking for some advice. I've never drifted before, but I live on a river and near many. Most of the time I would probably be drifting alone. So I guess my question is 2 fold, would a drift boat make sense if I'm going alone? And does anyone have any experience building them?

Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like an awesome venture! I knew several people who did when I lived in Washington state - I would think it's must less complicated than a lot of other designs; probably like building a rowing dory with bigger sections (?)

In any case best of luck and please post pictures of your progress.

#3 ·
I don't know if it's going to be very easy for you to use a drift boat solo and fish at the same time, especially since you have no drift boat experience. How are you going to paddle it and fish at the same time? How about control your direction? It'll also be difficult to try and control the boat when landing a fish too, or when trying to cast to a specific spot. I'd look at a kayak with a rudder instead.

I just look at it in the most simple way: A drift boat is intended for a rower and one of more fishermen, not for the solo angler. A kayak is intended for a solo angler.

#4 · (Edited)
Most solo rowers just invest in a good anchor set up. It also makes great transport to the next hole and then just wade and cast. Also, not to be a Mom but realize rowing river alone is a really big no-no in the boating world. Even slow moving rivers can eat a boat or an oar can knock you out cold. Anyway,preaching over... have fun if you do it!

My big concern would be loading and unloading 400lbs of drift boat alone. I guess with a good winch it probably not too bad? You could look at a standard floor 13ft raft too. Easier to man handle alone and transport.

My dad is the one with the boat building skills though. I'm no help there. He keeps offering to build me a drift boat but I have no place to keep the thing!:frown:

#6 ·
If you have any do it yourself type skills, building a drift boat should be no problem. My brother and I built a 24' center console with moderate do it yourself skills and the boat is awesome if not pretty if I do say so myself. The engine on the other hand gave us all kinds of fits and we recently took out the IO, rebuilt the transom, added a transom bracket with swim platform and a 150 yamaha. We took it out the first time on Christmas day for a sea trial with great results.

#7 ·
I've built a few boats of similar construction, and I've also grown up on boats. I enjoy wood working and working on/with boats so I thought this would be a fun project to build, now just the usefulness I'm questioning.
Any sites with plans would be great.
Thanks for all the input

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.