Keys Trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Thumbs up Keys Trip

Thinking that the next few times I visit Florida would have been to see Mickey with the kids I has resigned to the fact that tropical flats fising was not on the radar anytime soon.

I was given a 20yr anniversary gift from the company I work for.

A long weekend in the keys, and a full day charter with Captain Chris Aubut in Key West. This is of course very cool news and many thanks to my buddy Chuck R who many of you in the Northeast know from the Boneclaves. My wife has freinds in Islamadora who live on the water, a big boat is basically their back yard so I hope to get a couple of days of fishing in there too. Maybe some DIY from shore with the flyrod if the Magerhritas allow.

Here's the thing, I've done some flats fishing up here and learned a lot from our own Juro. I can see fish, at least stripers, I can cast better than I used to but loose accuracy after 60'.
I'll no doubt have a bunch of questions and will start reading the threads in this section, any and all suggestions, recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I think the guide is a freind of JBasser - so maybe he'll put in a good word for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Flats Rat

That's awesome Jim

When will you be going?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:40 AM

Looks like the end of March.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Pencil me in.....

That is a great gift...I received an ugly rocking chair for my 25th at my company

Yes, I know Chris and we are in fairly regular contact, so when we get a little closer to the date we can talk about your plans and the targeted exotic specii of your preference

Chris is very good at boat positioning, so you need to practice your downwind cast!!!

Last edited by jfbasser; 01-15-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:43 AM

So as far as a DIY for Islamorada, anyone been there, done that?

Can I get away with a 9wt/10wt? I'm assuming a floating line is the way to go.

Flies?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Flats Rat

I'm sure others will chime in but for DIY Bahia Honda state park takes some beating I fished there a couple of days but the high winds had churned up the water and visibility was way down - but the fish were there. In addition to some quality bonefish I saw a couple of decent (70lb+) tarpon on the flats.

I tried wade fishing a couple of spots around bridge pilings but encountered a lot of sticky mud. There are places that are more wade freindly - I recall Juro posting some other spots a while back.

With boat / kayak the world is your oyster!
Old 01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wow - thats better than a watch!!

I second the DIY / Bahia Honda. It's probably the best easy access spot in the area but of course the best spots are never easy and I am sure the guided day will be hard to beat.

I somehow got on bonefish Bob's good side... maybe it was because I came into the shop soaking wet and wide-eyed after having just lost a big tail walking cuda' looking for wire and he got a kick out of it. Anyway he had some fantastic advice for me.

There was another place called Annie's Beach or cove or something that had fish mudding actively. I walked right onto the flats hoping they would come up but they stayed deep - they were there though. So were some strange guy couples in the mangroves and the outhouse, I'd stay clear of that if I were you.

There were some accessible spots around Tavernier as well, I will PM you one spot where I landed a very nice bone just off the road on Matecumbe.

Unlike Acklins the prime flats are far from being roadside stops on the Keys so I think where DIY guys scratch for good access along the highway your guide will open the gateway to the fabled keys on a flats boat - should be a grand time!

Congrats on your long term service to the company BTW.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-17-2006, 02:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
That's a great gift!

If you can cast 60' you're all set. Most casts are going to be 40-50'. Make sure you take some pics!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:33 PM

The 60' cast is a misconception. My guides tell me that so many people go down the Keys thinking that if they can cast 60 feet they are ready to go but the problem is that they can only cast 60 feet under ideal conditions (i.e., no wind) and when a 15 knot wind kicks up all of a sudden their 60 ft cast is now only 30 feet and they can't reach that bonefish tailing 50 feet away. As Lefty Kreh has said, the ability to cast 60 feet being adequate means that you can cast 60 feet under almost any conditions including a 15 knot wind blowing in your face.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:29 PM

Yeah man, I learned that the hard way. The wind didn't get me it was the long leader with a heavy fly on the end that I had difficulty with. Now that I've gone, I know what needs work and will be prepared next time. Actually made some good casts while wade fishing but that was with my own equipment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.