Matching flylines to rods - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 07:36 AM

Matching flylines to rods

Seems to me that the biggest problem everyone has these days is getting the proper flyline for ones rod. Just scan the threads on the various boards and it' s a universal problem. I think it would be helpful if the rod designers told what line they uesd when designing their rod. I only saw one post to that effect on another board. Perhaps the designers are using tester who can cast far better than the average fisherman.
In my own case I built a Winston BIIX 9wt rod and put on my 10wt lines which work very well on my old Sage RPL+ rod. I was told by the local rep that Winston fine tunes their rods and I must use a 9wt line with this rod. He even offered to have me test cast my rod with a 9wt line by a large manufacture . So now I have to go out a get another line at $60 a pop. Very frustrating. Would like to hear of others with the same problem. FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 08:26 AM

If you call Sage they will tell you that even the fastest rods in their line are designed to take the matching (floating) line weight that the rod is designated for. This includes XP and Xi2 both of which are faster than the BIIx.

Seems like many northeast anglers are under the impression that they need to overline their rods which I don't understand. If you can shoot some line into your backcast and double-haul you should be able to generate plenty of line speed - especially if you are using an intermediate.

That said I'm sure the Winston would be fine with a 10wt line as long as you don't overdo it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It can be frustrating certainly.

We can take a lesson from the Spey casters of the world and consider grains over length. Of course this is what line ratings are supposed to be standardized on, the AFTMA == grains over 30ft of line. Realistically that standard is too general to solve the problem you mention. To get a better idea of match you'd need to know grains / length for a rod.

Line companies can/will provide grain info upon request, Rio being a great example of having always done that. I think rod companies have pro staff on hand who have knowledge of the grains a rod likes for certain applications. I know I needed to know it inside out when I was a two-hand rod rep.

Keep in mind two things:

- the grain range differs over length of line, the longer the taper the more grains a rod can turn over

- the application defines the grains as well, for fast sinking short heads verses double taper floaters

Also asking in a forum like this for anecdotal information can be very valuable. In the end the way I choose is to cast the rod with various lines for myself. In my software solutions consulting days I was taught the "believe-ability scale" went from "experts say" to "we say" to "I say" in increasing order
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Flats Rat

As someone with more 9ft 9wt rods than any sane person should own I can relate to Bill's frustration. At the end of the day it comes down to trying things out as Juro says. Until the industry comes up with a new rating system based on grains/length we're stuck with trial and error. This is probably one extremely good reason to support your local tackle store, assuming they will let you try different lines one their demo rods until you find a combination that suits your particular style.

From my own experience I have an Orvis rod rated at 9wt that casts a 9wt intermediate line like a dream but doesn't load worth a dam with my regular 9wt floater. At the Danbury show last week-end I fell in love with the new Temple Fork TiCRX 8wt. I didn't fancy having to invest in a bunch of 8wt lines (I own an awefull lot of 9wts ) until Jake told me not to worry - that's a 9wt line on the rod - "it doesn't really load right with an 8". Apparently when Lefty was doing his design thing the 8wt came out as an "8.75" - go figure.

Of course, now I have no excuse not to go out and buy it
Old 01-12-2006, 10:33 AM

I'm with Juro on this one....

Even if the manufacturers tell you what line was used and who did the casting in designing the rod, that doesn't mean that that is the setup that will work best for you, as we all have different casting styles!

Case in point...I prefered that TiCRX with the 8wt line...but there are lots of other examples.

Reasons being, we all will use a different overhang, different acceleration patterns with the rod hand, and different haul techniques, not to mention differences in preference.

A potential solution to this is the "Common Cents System" touted by a Rodbuilding website, and RodMaker magazine...that lets you measure, at least to some degree, the power and action of your rod or rods.

So, if you know that your current favorite rod measures as 8.75, with an angle of 70* and cast best with a 9wt line, you can then look at rods that you are considering to see if they will behave as you like with a 9wt line....

There is a nice database of rods and blanks available online, though not all manufacturers are well represented.

I know I like faster rods for sinking lines and fishing the water, and softer tipped rods for sightcasting floating lines....

Mark
Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 AM

Wow that is some technical stuff.

I think at lot of it has to do with adapting your style to the gear you are using.

As they say: "the ski doesn't make the skiier".
Old 01-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Pencil me in.....

Adrian, I have an 8.75 weight line I can sell you at a good price....perfect for that rod
Old 01-12-2006, 10:56 AM

Hey Big Dave....you can adapt your style to match the gear, but there is also the opportunity to get gear that matches your style....

mark
Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 AM

Great responses hope other chime in here. I agree with Adrian, the local flyshop is the place to go in helping sort out this problem. FishHawk
Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbasser
Adrian, I have an 8.75 weight line I can sell you at a good price....perfect for that rod
Bluefish get your 9 wt?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-12-2006, 12:13 PM

I suspect that you might even like an nine weight line on your old RPL+. Take up the rep on his offer to cast his lines. He has hopefully figured out which lines cast best on his rods.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Middle Aged Member

I tend to agree with Big Dave. I have never paid too much attention to lines, always buying from the same vendor (Cortland) and dealing with it. Seems it's common for us in the NE salt to bounce between, say, an intermediate or floating line and QD type line. This certainly requires a significant adjustment to your casting "stroke" within the range of your normal fishing. Lines of the same type from different vendors, I guess, require less but some adjustment. I believe the same can be said for rods, given the rods are within some personal preference range. Once you adjust and adapt all is well with life.

After always using 440SL intermediates I bought a Wulff intermediate this past summer. I was ready to chuck the wulff after its first use. Before I did I took it out in the backyard and in five minutes I was thinking this ain't so bad.

If it feels good, do it. If it don't, try it again, it might be like scotch.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
I tend to agree with Big Dave. I have never paid too much attention to lines, always buying from the same vendor (Cortland) and dealing with it. Seems it's common for us in the NE salt to bounce between, say, an intermediate or floating line and QD type line. This certainly requires a significant adjustment to your casting "stroke" within the range of your normal fishing. Lines of the same type from different vendors, I guess, require less but some adjustment. I believe the same can be said for rods, given the rods are within some personal preference range. Once you adjust and adapt all is well with life.
Lump me in with Big Dave and Fred on this one. While I try to match the best possible line to my rods (for my casting style), I'd like to think that I'm flexible enough to adapt when needed.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS
Hey Big Dave....you can adapt your style to match the gear, but there is also the opportunity to get gear that matches your style....

mark

I tried that last year and ended the season with an 11 foot Lami and a Daiwa Embem Pro 5000...oops Well back to Flyfishing
Old 01-13-2006, 06:51 AM
CantAnchorUs

The line and rod manufacturers have gone so far off course with thier specs that you can`t trust anything anymore. What it comes down to is who can tell the bigger lie. "This 9 wt rod sure has lots of backbone", sure thats because it`s probably a 10 or an 11! "Our new 10 wt line shoots like a cannon", yeah right, check the grain wt, turns out to be a 12 wt! Like everything else in this country, the biggest liars get the biggest share of the suckers! Check out 4 lines from the same company, all marked as 9 or 10 wts and you`ll find a 250 gr difference between them! Quality Control at it`s finest!

This is the year Basser takes the big jump, he will definitly be the source to find out where the biggest clam worms or freshest pogies are to be found! I have survilence photos of him pouring lead for sinkers!
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.