Fly Fishing Forum banner

Juro's Loop Recipe

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gollum 
#1 ·
Finally got around to taking some images of the loops I developed over 15 yrs ago (wow time flies), still using them today. For my tastes I haven't seen anything better but it's kind of a subjective thing and I'm happy to go with the flow when I do.

Advantages are energy transfer without hinging, compactness, strength, durability and a very high ease of un-looping even after very high tension. There is some light clicking through the guides but because the working length is so short and the profile uniform the binding we used to see with long hard sleeves is not there.

For other applications like leader loops I use other methods, this is specifically for joining things in the middle of the belly like sinktips or adaptable lines (e.g. spey lines).

Match the braid according to the line diameter - 20#, 30#, 50# etc. It also comes in a few colors - white, flouro green, orange, etc.

The aquaseal can be thinned with cotol (outside) to provide a very slim profile with incredible strength. I still have several of the original loops I made 15 yrs ago and have literally cut lines in half on sharp rocks before the loops gave way.

(in the macro shot I had not yet coated the nail knot with aquaseal)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hope they work out for ya! If you have any questions let me know.

The key is to get the nail knot down over the sweet spot before you tighten to bite into the junction, then a dab of aquaseal makes it permanent.

Pulling on one end of the nail knot tag tightens the other end of the nail knot, and vice-versa.

I use a double-eyed needle (like a buck at the fabric store) for the easiest and most accurate nail knots but you can also use a loop of mono per the under-wraps of a rod guide.

Shaving one side of the coating keeps it symmetric.

#5 ·
just saw this...

I prefer no loops to leader or on leader.

I like epoxy splice (thanks Tony Gades) or nail knot w / blood knots through to tippet.

If I am going to change the leader a lot then one loop on a thick mono butt off the line with either of the above. Casting on grass, teaching a new caster, etc.

I never use any loops on sink tips or sinking lines period - nail to blood thru.

I keep a couple of commercially tapered leaders in the pocket for days when weeds are catching the blood knots although it doesn't help keep the weeds off the fly.

Notes:

- epoxy splice is a do-at-home thing
- does not work with mono core lines
- nail knotting is fast and easy with a double-eyed needle, don't even need to get out of the water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.