Man it gets quiet around here! - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 02:56 PM

Man it gets quiet around here!

So for the lack of actual fishing reports/ discussions.... What are your plans / preparations for next season?

Building/buying any new rods/gear this winter?
Tying any new patterns?

Me: I've just finsihed a new 3 pc 9' 5/6 wt (built on a Fisher GT40 blank). Built it with bass fishing in mind. Oversized snakes and strippers, Full Wells grip,Machined AL reel seat, 1" fighting butt...... Wish it would get warm so I could 'try it"

Also upgrading/changing my Heavy Bass Bugging (8 wt) reel from a martin multiplyer ( mod 72) to a Cabelas HP5 LA. The martin works well but it's heavy and has a tendancy to coil the line on it's small (but wide) spool.

Lastly, stocking up on proven old and playing around with new patterns in the Vice with Spring Maine Smallies specificly in mind.

Resolutions: Launch the yak and canoe in small ponds more offten next year. Those are the environments I like best.

Last edited by Wee Hooker; 12-08-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Fly chucker

I think that we are all in that lull between fishing season and active, active tying season. Some like me are still in denial that the season is over.....

We always have winter fly swaps, so be on the lookout for those.

My winter activities will include tying, strategizing, and dreaming. And making hay while the sun shines by doing lots around the house to establish guilt-free fishing in the spring.

Let it snow!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 PM
_

Yep, busy time of year for me (and lots of others I'm sure). I am looking forward to the swaps and FF shows, and I hope to tie plenty of flies so I'll probably have some additions to the fly archives.

I thought about trying to do a quickie fly swap before New Year's. My idea was to have participants submit any six WW flies from their fly boxes. Even used flies would be ok if they are still in good shape. Any interest?

Q
Old 12-08-2005, 08:45 AM

I have been building a few rods and of course doing some tying.

Wee Hooker, would love to see some pictures of your new rod.

I would also be interested in the swap. I will probably have one of my own on the Salmon & Steelhead board after the first of the year.

Charlie
Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 AM

Yep, even waaaaaay down here in the South-ok, mid south- the blasts of chilly air have cooled the bite down considerably. Doing some tying. considering the next rod build after my first effort-a H&H 2pc 8ft 4wt with FW grip coupled with a 1973 vintage 1494 DA Medalist which I just love......the next rod maybe a similar panfish rod in a 3 wt. Got a Pflueger Trion model 1978 for my fall Salmon rig and may just have to break it in early this weekend with some human or farm animal "Salmon" to test the rod and reel team and the Trion's drag. Thinking about getting my 5 year old son to pedal his training wheeled bike away from me with some 2-5 pound tippet attached to the bike and set the reel drag loose then say "GO!" and crank the drag gradually tighter until the tippet POPS to get a feel for the reel, the drag, the palming rim, the rod bend, the "ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz...." sound that I miss and just some good old fun with the son. I might tie my dog onto a tippet and send her running around too. I also have some big chickens, sheep, and geese.......hmmmmm? probably better stick with the kid and bike. Anyway, here's a couple of the nearly last fish I hooked up with before the cold spells.
Steve

Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've been dealing with bigtime turmoil at the workplace, high tech troubles again- i.e. survival mode... but keeping my family quality time up to parr afterall it is the holiday season.

Also have been playing my guitar in earnest (a bit every day) and re-joined a karate dojo to finish what I started but dropped 22 years ago.

I will be settling in to some serious tying soon, and will post progress on the 11 new patterns I have designed on paper.

Winter trips - Acklins, and a 'Holy Grail' spring steelhead trip to the Cascade Range are planned.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-08-2005, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
This December marks my first anniversary of fly tying after 18 years of fly fishing. I never had any interest in it until last year when my father-in-law gave me one of those starter kits for my birthday in May '04. When last December rolled around and I was suffering fishing withdrawal, I pulled out the kit and was soon hooked on tying. This season saw the trials of many different patterns, and a few great successes, one that landed my first landlocked salmon as well as a 5+ lb largemouth and a 4 lb smallmouth. That pattern will be passed around during some fly swaps this winter, that's for sure!

So, this winter will see me tying a lot of flies, and now that my skills are getting better, I'll be contributing to a few swaps too.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:20 PM

well , i'm heading to the amazon for peacock bass in a couple of weeks. second trip. tied up a bunch of flatwing flies to try out. i figured that big light flies ought to do it. the end of dec/early jan is a great time for a winter trip. when i get back i'll be dreaming about an early spring weekend in north georgia for giant rainbows and then shad on my return home. the stripers are then just around the corner.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrowncom
well , i'm heading to the amazon for peacock bass in a couple of weeks.
Color me green with envy!

Please give us a report upon your return. Good luck to you, and have a great trip.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've been really getting interested in pike on the fly lately although I didn't get the chance to pursue it in 2005.

As far as the quiet, around my neck of the woods 'warm water' is something I hope comes out of the faucet in the morning after a frigid night.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-09-2005, 01:56 PM

It's blowing 30Kts , snowing and plain miserable here today. Amazon for Peacock Bass? You can't imagion how awsome that sounds to this ol boy right now!
Old 12-10-2005, 12:20 PM

i'm chomping at the bit myself. i'll do a report when i return
Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 PM

BTW, short artical on Flyfishing for Peacock Bass in southern FL in this months American Angler. Not a great artical but enough to get this icebound guy salivating.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:39 PM

Hi

Winter plans-

Rebuild the grip on my 11'6 6/7 Redington so the foregrip is 3 " longer, add a REC seat with a screw in 5" rear handle/bottom grip- tested it out as a Switch Spey rod this year as it came and it needs a little handle work to make it really "fly"

Shorten the rear grip on my Bruce and Walker 17' 10/11 Spey- it's 2" too long for me

Rethink my spey line/tips loop system- it's too cluncky in V1.X

Tie up missing/didnt have patterns

Work up some new articles for my local site

Try not to let my ice fishing friends seduce me into peering down holes

Will

Last edited by WatersideWill; 12-13-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.