Great eateries near great fisheries - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 AM

Boy you guys know some good places to eat and drink!

Chatham Squires a beer and a good single malt what could be better except the great company of stripa fishermen one goes there with.

Brad mentioned the A Bar on the Henery's Fork. I used to eat there every weekend and then fight as many yuppi fly fishermen as would take me on. What a treat that was.

Charlie mentioned Chico Hot Springs my old stomping ground when I lived on old Pete Story's ranch near Emigrant, MT. My wife back then was a good livingston, MT. cowgirl and head waitress there. She was part of the Jimmy Buffett song "Livingston Saturday Night"/ " Rancho Delux" crowd. We ate well after hours at Chico Hot Springs as the owner Mike Art took care of his employees very well indeed. The restraunt Bar would be closed off, food, good drink and other less leagle stuff would be served in great proportions. One never knew who would be eating with you be it the Govenor, movie stars or old and colorful sheep herders dragged out of the back country given a good meal and drink in exchange for the very best of Montana history stories and folk lore. Sometimes those old herders would just start playing their Bango, sweet Montana mountain Blue grass music. It was a time when some waitress could negotiate extra income by giving confort to the politically powerful and the rich and famous. I can only wonder if it still is the same. What do you know Charlie is it still like that? There were nights where we go thru the entire night there then stumble down to the Yellowstone River or one of the spring creeks for a serious morning of fly fishing. Those were great days but ones that had to eventually be given up on or else you were going to crash and burn real hard.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2006, 01:12 PM

Sandi's Diner on Main Street in Chatham for breakfast. Better than Larry's PX. They open around 5:30 am. not to far from the Big Girl Bar. FishHawk
Old 01-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Heading south the Islamorada Fish Company sure provided the right dockside ambiance to a bonefisher in sandals and flats attire, stone crab with conch chowder, yellowtail snapper and a key lime pie slice. However the options from there to Key West were so plentiful that perhaps a more knowledgeable party could point some hidden secrets along old route 1... but I am pretty sure the public access spots with nice flats will not be listed
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 02:09 PM

More cape:

South Chatham Village Variety for subs.

Wellfleet: Beachcomer for raw bar, adult bevs and 'sightseeing'

Harwich: 400 club especially the belly clams
Old 01-06-2006, 02:26 PM

To the far corner, PNW - breakfast at Tootsie's place at the 'bunny farm' right across the street from the Chapel Run on the magnificent Skagit river nestled in the North Cascade mountains in Washington state. If you're lucky, she might even wish you luck and if she does you'd better have the drag set right.

photo courtesy of Andre Lorenz
Old 01-06-2006, 05:20 PM

Juro,
Looks like Wilma took care of the Islamorada Fish Company, at least the deck, when I was there in November the whole thing was gone. I'm sure they'll rebuild, though. Great place! Had to settle for the Zane Gray next door. Not Bad.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
_

When I'm on a fishing trip I'm usually by myself and on the run so it's often (too often) a McWendyKing sandwich or a powerbar from the nearest convenience store. The best meals I've had during fishing trips were the group meals at the Boneclaves and Rhody claves

Q
Old 01-06-2006, 06:07 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinsalt
Juro,
Looks like Wilma took care of the Islamorada Fish Company, at least the deck, when I was there in November the whole thing was gone. I'm sure they'll rebuild, though. Great place! Had to settle for the Zane Gray next door. Not Bad.
I can't imagine they won't be back up quickly . . . good food and what an incredible $ factory. It's one of our favorites every year (especially after Manny & Issa's is gone . . .WHAT a bummer) while chasing tarpon.
B
Old 01-07-2006, 02:32 PM

Jumping back to New York State, the Athens Family Restaurant in downtown Gowanda NY on the shores of the Cattaraugus Creek serves up the best souvlaki I've ever tasted and I have to thank Charlie, Rick Kustich, Brian Slavinski, Nick Pionessa and the rest of the gang for inviting me there for dinner after the Spey clave. It was the first time I've had souvlaki but if it ever got better than that I would have to pinch myself to see if I had died and gone to heaven.

Nearby is a truly beautiful American steelhead stream meant to be fished with the swung fly and a great Spey river.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:42 AM

Well now, I can't let this discussion get away without mention of a couple favorite, if not great, eateries of mine.

There is a taco wagon – for you eastcoasters, a "taco wagon" is a roach coach on four wheels, sometimes an old school bus, that serves Mexican food. Of particular note are the tacos for a buck each – two steamed 6" corn tortillas with chopped onions, cilantro and your choice of chorizo (sausage), adobada (spicy pork), carne asada (beef), pollo (chicken), etc. Squeeze some fresh lime on top and we're talking absoluto perfecto mundo.

The best wagon is just after you come out of the Reformatory Hole on the Skykomish River. Another great one is off I-5 next door to the Mickey Dee's in Burlington on the way home from the Skagit. I've also stopped at the one in Ellensburg on the way home from the Yakima River and shared a six pack of Coronas with the proprietors on Cinco de Mayo in order to guarantee a clean table the next time I stop by.

Leland.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:27 AM

I like the Agawam Diner after a morning of fishing at Pavillion Beach in Ipswich,Ma
Great Breakfast's served all day.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Gibsons at Landrail Point, Crooked Island, Bahamas.
Willie serves those favorite Bahamian dishes of chicken, conch, grouper and lobster in a homestyle setting and fixed the way it should be. She makes you feel right at home so that you look foward to returning for more than just the food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.