flaot in Montana one day - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 03:35 PM

flaot in Montana one day

OK, I've getting my summer trip in order. I am thinking one day on DePuy Spring Creek, and one day on a float trip. The place where I am going to stay recommended a Yellowstone River float--I assume outside the park, probably between the Park and Billings somewhere. Before I commit, anyone have any experience with this? Or should I float another river in the area instead? (This will be mid to late July). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 PM

Romey,

I did the Yellowstone last year and it was fantastic! Got a bunch of fish and the experience was top notch. Lots of cool scenery and plenty of wildlife to look at. The Madison is another great one. Anything near West Yellowstone or the park is fantastic.

Charlie.

Below The Yellowstone below Livingston.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ys.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	5237  
Old 01-05-2006, 01:40 PM

Thanks!

That was what I was hoping to hear.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Pullin' Thread

Having lived and in Montana and fished the Yellowstone many times, I'd recommend fishing the river upstream of Livingston at that time or year any where in the Paradise Valley. It is not that the fishing downstream of Livingston is not good (it is very good); it is just that the fishing in Paradise Valley on the Yellowstone in much better.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:00 PM

Never fished it in the Valley but flytyer defiantly knows the area better than me so I would say it is great advise. And as nice as the water looks below Livingston, the water in the Valley looks better. Also, you will be closer to the spring creeks in the valley.

Charlie

P.S. If you get a chance have dinner at Chico Hot Springs (in the valley). The food is unreal.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:16 PM

It's been mentioned before but we have a good snow pack in Colorado this year but not sure about Montana...point being the big rivers might still be blown out abit even in mid-late july. Just something to consider in your planning.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:05 PM

one last question--I am about to book mid July--around the 15th. Will the hoppers be hot around that time in the area rivers? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Pullin' Thread

The hoppers will just be starting to get going in mid-July. But the Yellowstone has the latest ocurring salmon fly hatch on a river in Montana and it is usually going strong in the Paradise Valley on up to the park in mid-July, so you ought to be able to participate in some great fishing with those large burnt orange stoneflies. The Yellowstone has some of the latest runnoff in Montana; but the river is almost always clear, although a bit high, by mid-July. But you would soon forget about the river being a little high when floating it and getting in on one of the primier hatches on the Rocky Mountain rivers that support the salmon fly.

Chico Hot Springs is a great place to visit, it is about the middle of the Paradise Valley and has wonderful food, great ambiance, and you might run into a famous person or two at it.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:03 AM

Chico Hot Springs

I'd stay at Chico hot springs between the N entrance and Livingston. Great eats, a real slice of Montana, hot springs at night, and a lot of bands in the bar. There is a sign in the lobby area that forbids wearing spurs in the beds. The Yellowstone river is at your doorstep. It's about 2 hrs to Billings and less than an hour to Yellowstone. If you want to fish the park there are numerous options close by. I'd highly recomend leaving the long way to Billings though through the park and out the NE Enterance by Cooke City and over the Bearthooth Pass on Hwy 212. If you do this option you can stop and fish slough creek, the Lamar R, or soda Butte cr by the NE enterance. Also, Don't overlook the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone about 12 miles up 212 from Cooke. Look out for Crazy creek, there's a campground there. Hike up about a mile and the creek gets more "user friendly" and chock fill of native cuts. I lived and worked on the BT Pass for three summers. It's an awesome place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.