Orion large arbor - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 05:45 PM

Orion large arbor

I'm interested in purchasing a Large arbor reel for an upcoming tripto Belize.
Has anybody had any experiance with LLBean's Orion Large arbor's. I've read some good reveiws. I don't get an oppurtunity to fish the salt (flats) often so I am looking for a decent reel I could also use in freshwater for salmon. Does anyone have another suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 09:24 AM

They look like a good reel for the money. I think that those reels would be on par (probably made in the same Chinese factory) as the Albright, Redington, Orvis, TFO, Scientific Anglers reels in the same price range. You can't beat Bean's customer service.
Reels in this price range come and go. They don't seem to stay in production for more than a couple of years, so if you wind up liking it, stock up on spools etc. When somthing goes wrong five years from now (maybe you drop it or something), it seems as if Orvis and Beans have the best customer support in those kinds of cases (they might replace the whole system if parts are no longer available).
Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 PM

Check out the Ross CLA, A good price for a nice large Arbor Reel made in America, life time warranty, A very nice large arbor Reel
Old 01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've had saltwater corrosion problems with many of the reels often mentioned in this context - midpriced gamefish reels for SW/FW double duty.

The original Danielsson reels from Sweden have far exceeded my expectations and although there are many upper shelf reels that excel for this application there are few (if any) peers when it comes to price/performance and have long passed the test of time.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
Hi Juro,

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
The original Danielsson reels from Sweden have far exceeded my expectations and although there are many upper shelf reels that excel for this application there are few (if any) peers when it comes to price/performance and have long passed the test of time.
Yeah the Danielsson reels are nice but not all of us can afford $300 for a reel. As it is I'm going without lunch most days and saving my nickles and dimes for an Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor V for just about the same application. (All bass: smallmouths, largemouths and stripers.)

I had a Teton Tioga #10 and like a nitwit I sold it.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:14 PM

my advice is to spend a little more to get the best in the business, whichever that may be. ive spend too much money on cheaper reels, only to find out they didnt suit me 100%. either in the weight/capacity of it or the mechanics, ive even had a spool drop of in a fjord, lots of backing isnt always a good thing i can tell you

so get a good one straight away, certainly because you will be using it on fish that will give it a real beating, you will enjoy the reel long after you forgot the price of it
- a thing of beauty is a joy forever-

greetings
huib geselschap
Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmountain
Hi Juro,

Yeah the Danielsson reels are nice but not all of us can afford $300 for a reel. As it is I'm going without lunch most days and saving my nickles and dimes for an Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor V for just about the same application. (All bass: smallmouths, largemouths and stripers.)

that you sold the #10 tioga is not the end of the world since it has a trout sized drag, not a biggame drag
Old 01-05-2006, 03:18 PM

if the danielsson is too expensive , have a look at the orvis battenkill large arbor, has stood the test of time
Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 PM

Sounds like another Teton is what you're looking for. The SW sizes have plenty of drag for bones. I watched a friend of mine land a school bluefin on one this summer which dished out a lot more abuse than any bonefish ever will.

You can get them for a song at certain online auction sites which shall not be named
Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmountain
Hi Juro,

Yeah the Danielsson reels are nice but not all of us can afford $300 for a reel.

Well for me it was a lot more than $300... first I bought brand X, then brand Y then finally I got the $300 evotec and the bleeding stopped.

We don't all buy the same way but Huib hit it on the head with his earlier point (buy fewer / better) according to my history of reel ownership.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:38 PM

Thanks for all of your advise! Since taking up this awesome sport about 5 years ago, I was strickly a spin fisherman previously, I can say it has literally changed my life. There is so much to learn and so many ways you can make it a truely personal sport. I am not a rich man and I do believe in buying the best you can afford. I've learned how to tie my own fly immitations, and to make purcasing rods more economical I build them myself (2-9wt). Reels on the other hand are something I have to purchase and when you included the backing and line or lines it can get quite expensive. When you are on a budget you learn to adapt I can palm a real like know one else useually because I don't trust my drag.

I would like to at least check into the Danielsson's I found there site but could not find pricing conversions. Could you help me out Juro

I've had the pleasure of catching Kings,Coho,Chums, Reds, Grayling and Raindow "sharks" in Alaska, Wild Cuthroats in New Mexico and Wyoming, Browns in Montana, Steelhead in Erie, and of course our mixed bag in PA and NY. And I hope I'm just getting started!

It's a great sport we pursue, Tight lines Too all
And thanks again
Old 01-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Juro did you fish the 6nine size this season? How did it balance on an 8wt/9wt rod?

Looks like it could be a killer bonefish reel with that huge arbor....
Old 01-05-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
I've had saltwater corrosion problems with many of the reels often mentioned in this context - midpriced gamefish reels for SW/FW double duty.
From the Ross Web Site "CLA Fishing Application: Designed for use in all freshwater, warmwater and saltwater fishing environments "
And by buying a Ross from your local fly shop you are also supporting local buisness and we should all support our local shops
Old 01-05-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave
Juro did you fish the 6nine size this season? How did it balance on an 8wt/9wt rod?

Looks like it could be a killer bonefish reel with that huge arbor....
Dave -

It was per-fect on the now "vintage" RPLXi 5pc 8wt travel rod with a tropical bonefish line. Only thing I ever changed was the tippet all week, and I had some real palm burners in particular a really good bone 6 maybe 7# on a flat with 5 ft barracudas cruising. Flawless and the aesthetics as well as reliability of the drag system's seal was very impressive.

My only moments of anguish were when Bill Kessler and I would exchange transmissions over the walkie talkies. After some obligatory whats happening talk, he would send a ear-splitting "ZEeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEE" message over the air waves by holding it near his HARDY click pawl reel (yes, a hardy click pawl reel) with a bonefish on.

I would reciprocate with that swiss-watch smooth drag sound that these Danielsson reels have and Bill would jokingly say something like "did you hear something?" or something to that effect.

High tech, low maintenance and flawless performance - but drag sound can not compete with a Hardy
Old 01-06-2006, 05:49 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

i would place my vote for the lamson velocity. sealed drag medium arbor for large backing capacity and in the mid-high two hundy range. for more dough the bauer mz has a sealed cork drag and great capacity in the mid-high three range.

imho the ross cla is not up to these standards, the center housing of the spool is plastic. this is also the part that holds the main bushing. has anyone landed a good bonefish on a ross cla yet? the drag is newly designed and i don't believe it has a tested reputation yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.